CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Mike Moulder

Profile:
Crossfit for life because life IS Crossfit

I don't do crossfit to get in the games, I don't do it to be buff, I don't do it to get the girls. I do crossfit because it makes me able to enjoy life. I am 43 and until about a year and a half ago I was a couch potato with a desk job and was very sedentary. I started out on my path to fitness using WII FIT actually. It didn't do much but get me off of the couch for a while each day. WII FIT does get a bad rap but there are strength exercised, yoga, and it's fun. Once it wasn't enough for me anymore I started doing the "Spartacus workout" from Men's health. In June of 2011 I was flipping through channels and came upon the crossfit games. I loved it, and was very intrigued. It took me a couple of months before I googled crossfit and found the main site. I still carry a little bodyfat, because I am not strict about my diet, but I've lost 30 lbs- now weigh 190- and feel great. I am now in the best shape of my life and have run a couple of 5Ks my best time so far is 33 minutes, but that's down 10 minutes from when I started running. I started running before I found crossfit and was tearing myself up until I started educating myself with journal articles and videos.
My WOD on Saturday was "assemble large desk". My dog likes to play chase around the back yard and it shocked him the first time I caught him. There's no real reason for this post aside from thanking the Glassmans and everyone who helped make crossfit what it is today.
and thanks to everyone on the board who's answered my questions.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Chad Smith

Profile:
Re: Crossfit for life because life IS Crossfit

Very true. I worked out at a globo gym for a while. I found it really boring and I wasn't seeing any results (and I wasn't even sure what to do half the time) Then I found Crossfit, and I love it for a variety of reasons. I love the variety, I love the community, I love how I'm seeing progress, even if it's just in little areas like my squat form.

Other people work out just to be as close to some ideal body as possible. I would much rather *be* fit then be huge and not able to do anything aside from lift weights. Granted, Crossfit is helping my physical appearance but that's not my main goal. For me, it's all about getting in the best shape of my life.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Good for you man!

I would bet that 80%+ of the posters here have similar stories (I am one of them!).

Keep at it!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
Good for you man!

I would bet that 80%+ of the posters here have similar stories (I am one of them!).

Keep at it!
my story is similar..
my motivation to exercise was initally abject fear of becoming incapicated like my biological mother..

now i love the sense of achievement that Cf gives me. even later in life learning to do things that i could not have dreamed of doing in my youth...

h