CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Mike Karolewicz

Profile:
Footwear

Ok guys I read most of the reviews but alot of them are for running not WODs. I have narrowed it down to these options. If you have completed some WODs and running in these shoes please post your reviews thanks. Also please feel free to put in your recommendations as well if you have links please post them.

NB MT20
NB MT10
NB MX20
NB 101
NB MT110
Nike Free 3.0
Nike Mayfly
Reebok Crossfit Nano
Inov-8 Bare-X 200

Last edited by Mike Karolewicz : 01-23-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Footwear

NB MT10: A better all around gym shoe than road running shoe. It feels very "slappy" to me when running. Good solid feel, very good lateral support. Great for lifting. The shoe holds tight and secure around the widest part of the foot so it can feel a little tight to those with wide feet, although it does comes in wide sizes. Usually requires a half size larger. Durability is great.

Nike Free 3.0: Good running shoe. It has a very quiet and soft feel when running. Would be good for body weight workouts, but terrible for workouts requiring any kind of weight. It does not have a very secure feel and the heel is somewhat awkward. The foot would be all over the place during any kind of lifting. Also usually requires a half size larger. Durability is okay.

Inov 8 flite 230: Great all around shoe. One of the most comfortable shoes ever. Very light and breathable, yet still solid and secure feeling. Great for bodyweight stuff and perfectly fine for weightlifting movements. Running shorts distances is fine, but it is also a little slappy on roads. Durability is kind of bad. Fits true to size.

Last edited by Matt Thomas : 01-23-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Andrew Bell

Profile:

MT101 - If you can find them, get them. These were awsome!!

Free 3.0 - Great shoes, very light, and feel good running.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Mike Karolewicz

Profile:

Thanks guys I'm looking at something for all around. Running roads hills and also wods.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Karolewicz View Post
Thanks guys I'm looking at something for all around. Running roads hills and also wods.
IMO, go with the New Balance Minimus MT20 (WFS), I think they are on sale now for 84.99. They give you the glove-like Vibram sole with a bit more cushion and grip. They are very light weight and have a much wider toe section when compared to the inov-8s f230s.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Mike Karolewicz

Profile:

Add inov-8 155 f-lite to the mix as well.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Mike Hollister

Profile:

I think the MX20's are the ideal shoe for crossfit. I have slightly wide feet and they fit true to size and feel great.

The main reason I like the mx20s is that they have a more solid heel than any other minimal shoe. It's slightly elevated and you can actually see on the sole that the heal foam is a different color than the other foam--because it's far more rigid. I've had a pair of mx20s for 8 months or so (got them when they first came out) and have used them exclusively for crossfit. I'll probably need another pair so I don't think they have more than a year of useful life in them, but I tend to be pretty hard on shoes (not sure why) and at least they are cheap. I'm tempted to try other shoes but the opportunity cost of trying something else is not worth missing out on the near perfection that is the MX20s. The were specifically designed for crossfit and it shows.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
David Alexander

Profile:

2nd the MX20s. They are hands down the best shoes for WODs (box jumps, double unders, KB sw, rope climb, 400m runs, rowing) and great for any heavy lifts (squats, press, deadlifts, etc). The only 2 things I don't use them for are Olympic lifts (d'oh) and long runs. If you want a shoe to WOD in, these are it. Get a 1/2 size up from Inov-8s.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Mike Karolewicz

Profile:

Well Since I have found the Inov-8 230 for a very nice price from runningwarehouse.com I think I will go with them. Read that it is a nice adjustment with going from a regular running shoe to minimalist shoe. Sooo many colors to choose from!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Since you asked the 155 is also a great shoe. I feel like it has a very quiet and soft landing while running, but it is super minimal so it may take some adjustment. The sole is also thin enough that I would feel comfortable doing weightlifting required in any WOD and probably even heavy squats and deads (not ideal though). Super comfortable shoe. Only comes in one hideous color though and durability probably isn't great.

If you found a good deal on some 230s I think you'll be very happy.