CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:
Surprises in the 2011 Games TEAM Rosters

I was looking at the team rosters for the games... absent from the CrossFit New England roster is Heather Bergeron!?

Anyone know what she's up to? I'm guessing she gave up her spot to allow Mel Okerby on the team, but I'm just speculating. Anyone know?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Jarrod Henry

Profile:
Re: Surprises in the 2011 Games TEAM Rosters

A lot of automatic qualifiers competed on teams to get them in, and then are regging for the games as individuals. Julie Foucier (spelling may be incorrect) of HyperFit/AnnArbor did the same.

(BTW, she was a BEAST on team amanda. Holy crap)
Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Heather was not an automatic qualifier - unfortunately. She placed 8th last year.
Perhaps this year she's helping Ben with coaching their Affiliate Team, or she's doing booth/sideline commentary at the Games?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Jarrod Henry

Profile:

Weird. I could have sworn she was an auto.

Oh well.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
John McCord

Profile:

Its still wierd that she would have the whole "Going Team" article and then not be on the team.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

this is one of the things i really didn't agree with, allowing the teams to change. i understand that certain athletes pre-qual for the games, but i think you should have had to declared at the beginning if you were going individual or team, and after that open no changes. i don't like people helping teams get to the games that have no intent of actually being on that team. i also don't like people trying for the individual and then switching to the team after the open or regionals if they don't qualify to go to the next round. i understand there is the possibility of injury and needing to replace a teammate, but it would be easy to have alternates listed at the beginning. or to choose a sub that wasn't involved before. i am sure others will disagree. i can honestly see both sides of the argument, and there is no perfect solution for every circumstance. just my two cents. i just think the team that qualifies should be the team that competes.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
John McCord

Profile:

Actually I agree completely, all members and alternates should be listed from Day 1, including the Open. This should hold especially true as the Competion Aspect or "Sport of Crossfit" grows.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
this is one of the things i really didn't agree with, allowing the teams to change. i understand that certain athletes pre-qual for the games, but i think you should have had to declared at the beginning if you were going individual or team, and after that open no changes. i don't like people helping teams get to the games that have no intent of actually being on that team. i also don't like people trying for the individual and then switching to the team after the open or regionals if they don't qualify to go to the next round. i understand there is the possibility of injury and needing to replace a teammate, but it would be easy to have alternates listed at the beginning. or to choose a sub that wasn't involved before. i am sure others will disagree. i can honestly see both sides of the argument, and there is no perfect solution for every circumstance. just my two cents. i just think the team that qualifies should be the team that competes.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

I think, unfortunately, life happens.

We're getting to the point where individuals are professional, sponsored athletes, and can dedicate their lives to this.

The Affiliate Cup is nowhere close. These are still your average Joe's and Jane's (with incredible abilities) competing. What happens when Team Member A has to deploy overseas, or change jobs, or gets pregnant? Does that team become automatically disqualified? What about that substitute, did they have to compete at all in the Open?

To quote Glassman, this is the competition of training methodologies, ESPECIALLY on the Affiliate front. If that gym can consistently produce enough athletes to populate a competitive team, they should have the right to compete.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Andrew Gray

Profile:

I strongly disagree with this idea that affiliates using pre-qualified athlete's are any less deserving to be there. If an affiliate produces an athlete that is so super awesome that they are pre-qualified for the games, I think it's ridiculous to say they don't deserve the advantages that go with that. It's an affiliate competition, not a 6 individual competition. An affiliate is made up of everyone in the gym and the competition is about finding out what gyms produce the best athletes (at least that's what I think it should be, some may disagree). I will also point out that with the way Regionals were set up this year, a single athlete can not carry a team to the games, there were several affiliates with pre-qualified athletes that didn't make the cut (including Valley with likely the single most valuable CrossFitter to have on your team - Kristen Clever).