CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #821
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Why no deadlifts and why alternating FS and BS? Alternating will make it harder to maintain the regular progression. I think you'd be better off doing just one variety of squat, and it doesn't really matter whether it's high bar or low bar. If you're going to do high bar then some extra hamstring work in the form of RDLs or GHRs wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #822
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Why are you not deadlifting?
Cause my trainer for weightlifting said I should skip it for a month or so because it is another pulling than in the olympic lifts.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #823
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Well, if you are doing cleans, you might be able to skip doing FS and just do BS both days. It sort of depends on what your goals are. General strength or something more Olympic WL oriented.

Then again, snatch or clean DL might not be a bad idea either instead of a conventional DL (with mixed or double hook).

2 days of BS, 1 day of FS sounds very similar to what Glenn beginner program does.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #824
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Westernacher View Post
Cause my trainer for weightlifting said I should skip it for a month or so because it is another pulling than in the olympic lifts.
If you have a WLing coach, why doesn't he have you doing a WLing-specific program? GSLP is a good program but it's not ideal if you're trying to get better at the Olympic lifts.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #825
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you have a WLing coach, why doesn't he have you doing a WLing-specific program? GSLP is a good program but it's not ideal if you're trying to get better at the Olympic lifts.
Because the weightlifting club is closed the next 4 weeks and I am not far enough in the lifts to do it all by my own.
I have already done different overhead presses, sots press, snatch balance and different pulls, but never complete lifts.
So the next few weeks I want to concentrate on strength and do some technique things as warm up.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #826
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Well, if you are doing cleans, you might be able to skip doing FS and just do BS both days. It sort of depends on what your goals are. General strength or something more Olympic WL oriented.

Then again, snatch or clean DL might not be a bad idea either instead of a conventional DL (with mixed or double hook).

2 days of BS, 1 day of FS sounds very similar to what Glenn beginner program does.
Doing Clean/Snatch DLs is a good idea, but would you do the whole programming in GSLP style then?
I would love to stick with GSLP the next weeks, because it was the best strength program I did so far.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #827
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Do Sn DL one week, Cn DL the other.

A few years back I did something where I alternated FS/BS and Sn/Cn DL and I liked it. Mainly I needed to get back into lifting more regularly than I had been.

I know the Hatch Sq program works both in the same day and I know CalStr has done that but personally I've hated it in the times I've played with it.

If your FS was really weak, then I could definitely see working it in. If it was in a proper ratio of your BS, just hit the BS twice a week and let the cleans take care of the FS. Especially if you work both Sn and Cn before the strength work.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #828
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

Thank you!

After sleeping on more night over it I think I'll do the basic or one of the weightlifting templates of GSLP plus a few technique exercises as a warm up.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #829
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Hey Eric - noticed you stopped logging your GSLP workouts on the SV forum. Is that forum is pretty dead now? If I start following GSLP, where should i log it to get some feedback, here?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #830
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
Hey Eric - noticed you stopped logging your GSLP workouts on the SV forum. Is that forum is pretty dead now? If I start following GSLP, where should i log it to get some feedback, here?
Yeah, I stopped logging on there because it was a pain in the *** dealing with every post requiring moderation and with no one posting on there anymore. It used to be really active with people like Wendler running subforums, but look on there now and you'll see that the last post in the discussion forum was a week ago.

You can create a log on here and get feedback, or just create a free blogspot account and link to it in the workout logs forum on here. I'd recommend the latter approach just for backing-up purposes. Plenty of people on this board have done GSLP at one time or another and can give you advice.