CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Elizabeth Hampton

Profile:
Freestanding apparatus for dips/kipping pull ups/TRX/weights

Hey folks, I am a PT looking for a freestanding apparatus that I can put in my gym space that allows for dips/kipping pull ups/band-assisted pull ups/weight rack with adjustable heights for front/back squats as well as TRX stuff.

I am apprehensive to purchase something that bolts to the wall or floor quite yet, until I am sure that it will stay there forever!

Any recommendations? I am looking at the S2 but it is not clear how stable it is without weights on the side of it (Check out rogue fitness on facebook/videos: they check out an S3 but there is beaucoup weight on it making it way more stable.)

Also, what the heck is a Dirty South bar and why would I want one of those instead of a standard pull up bar?

Thanks all!

Elizabeth
Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Chris Sinal

Profile:
Re: Freestanding apparatus for dips/kipping pull ups/TRX/weights

I've got an S-2 stand in my garage with double plate storage systems on either side; I haven't had any problems doing kipping pull-ups or otherwise, so long as there are plates on the rack to hold it down. I love it.

Caveat emptor: With the S-2, you may find that the lower bar is too low to do butterfly or extend you legs on the kip. I've heard that one can get a single bar for the unit (importing the X-431 from the Infinity Rig), but I've heard from Rogue that it's not recommended--the bar (or the unit) can warp over time with this arrangement.

If you hear how to jigger an S-2 with a higher pull-up bar, I'd love to hear about it.