CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Jeff Barnett
Affiliate Jeff Barnett is offline
 
Jeff Barnett's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Huntsville  AL
Posts: 64
Lightbulb Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

I recently wrote an article for my affiliate's website on the top 10 "Aha!" moments I've experienced during my brief history with CrossFit. I thought it might be helpful for you or your clients.

Link (Work and Family Safe)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
James Rios
Member James Rios is offline
 
James Rios's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Whittier  CA
Posts: 540
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

excellent article. i hadnt heard of Rippetoe's rehab theory. ill work on implementing it tomorrow. buggering elbow hurts when in full lock out during an OHS...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
David Meverden
Member David Meverden is offline
 
David Meverden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 2,802
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rios View Post
excellent article. i hadnt heard of Rippetoe's rehab theory. ill work on implementing it tomorrow. buggering elbow hurts when in full lock out during an OHS...
ALL STOP!

Rip is very clear on the rehab protocol (which he got from Bill Starr) being written specifically for muscle belly tears. To quote the great Rip: "THIS METHOD WAS SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPED FOR MUSCLE BELLY INJURIES, AND DOES NOT WORK FOR TENDINITIS, JOINT CAPSULE INJURIES, TENDON OR LIGAMENT RUPTURES, OR INFECTIOUS DISEASE." The protocol mentioned in the article is also an abbreviated version of the real protocol. Go check out the Starting Strength forums for more elaboration on the method (there is a sticky at the top of the forum labeled "All injury questions: look here first").

So James, be careful with your elbow: if you apply a therapy not intended for that kind of injury you could make things worse! Sounds like you have more of a tendinitis kind of thing which should probably be attacked with physical therapy exercises (extensor and rotational exercises), some rest, and fish oil. Point is, figure out exactly what it is and exactly what the prospective therapy is intended for before you settle on anything.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Jeff Barnett
Affiliate Jeff Barnett is offline
 
Jeff Barnett's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Huntsville  AL
Posts: 64
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

Daivd, thanks for pointing that out. I updated the article with that caveat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Matt Heriot
Member Matt Heriot is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Franklin  MA
Posts: 103
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

Good article.

Ditto on the MU ah-ha moment. After weeks of continued failure on them I took 20 min after a WOD and just kept trying. I finally got one with seemingly less effort than I assumed it would take. My "ah-ha" was that MU are as much about form and technique as they are about strength.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Anthony Giurato
Member Anthony Giurato is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta  GA
Posts: 302
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
ALL STOP!

Rip is very clear on the rehab protocol (which he got from Bill Starr) being written specifically for muscle belly tears. To quote the great Rip: "THIS METHOD WAS SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPED FOR MUSCLE BELLY INJURIES, AND DOES NOT WORK FOR TENDINITIS, JOINT CAPSULE INJURIES, TENDON OR LIGAMENT RUPTURES, OR INFECTIOUS DISEASE." The protocol mentioned in the article is also an abbreviated version of the real protocol. Go check out the Starting Strength forums for more elaboration on the method (there is a sticky at the top of the forum labeled "All injury questions: look here first").

So James, be careful with your elbow: if you apply a therapy not intended for that kind of injury you could make things worse! Sounds like you have more of a tendinitis kind of thing which should probably be attacked with physical therapy exercises (extensor and rotational exercises), some rest, and fish oil. Point is, figure out exactly what it is and exactly what the prospective therapy is intended for before you settle on anything.
Hmmm, I wanted to link to Rippetoe's post with this information, but I can't make a link to starting strength.com. Why is that?

Also, can anyone give me more info on the elbow pain after attempting muscle ups? Two weeks ago I spent a while trying to do a MU. The next day I did some cleans and my elbow started hurting. I took a few days off from push and pull exercises. When I started back up, my elbow hurt after the first workout. I have since taken a longer time off (4 days) and now the pain is gone. Did I handle this right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Evan Anderson
Member Evan Anderson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tempe  AZ
Posts: 41
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
Hmmm, I wanted to link to Rippetoe's post with this information, but I can't make a link to starting strength.com. Why is that?
Politics...

You can use http://*******/
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Anthony Giurato
Member Anthony Giurato is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta  GA
Posts: 302
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
ALL STOP!

Rip is very clear on the rehab protocol (which he got from Bill Starr) being written specifically for muscle belly tears. To quote the great Rip: "THIS METHOD WAS SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPED FOR MUSCLE BELLY INJURIES, AND DOES NOT WORK FOR TENDINITIS, JOINT CAPSULE INJURIES, TENDON OR LIGAMENT RUPTURES, OR INFECTIOUS DISEASE." The protocol mentioned in the article is also an abbreviated version of the real protocol. Go check out the Starting Strength forums for more elaboration on the method (there is a sticky at the top of the forum labeled "All injury questions: look here first").

So James, be careful with your elbow: if you apply a therapy not intended for that kind of injury you could make things worse! Sounds like you have more of a tendinitis kind of thing which should probably be attacked with physical therapy exercises (extensor and rotational exercises), some rest, and fish oil. Point is, figure out exactly what it is and exactly what the prospective therapy is intended for before you settle on anything.
Here is a full post from Rippetoe: WFS
http://*******/bkmDWk
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
Kevin Shaughnessy
Member Kevin Shaughnessy is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montreal  QC
Posts: 404
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
Also, can anyone give me more info on the elbow pain after attempting muscle ups? Two weeks ago I spent a while trying to do a MU. The next day I did some cleans and my elbow started hurting. I took a few days off from push and pull exercises. When I started back up, my elbow hurt after the first workout. I have since taken a longer time off (4 days) and now the pain is gone. Did I handle this right?
You probably need to do some elbow prep before you can do them safely. Maybe working muscle up negatives in conjuction with russin dips and false grip pull ups would be a good idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o52cZ-_bH7s (wfs)

Last edited by Kevin Shaughnessy : 04-07-2010 at 01:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Jesse Kodadek
Member Jesse Kodadek is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missoula  MT
Posts: 181
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
but I can't make a link to starting strength.com. Why is that?
Wow, bizarre and more than a little sad.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working on my Whiteboard - Top Ten WOD's?? John White Workout of the Day 26 03-09-2010 09:22 PM
Top ten signs you take CF waaaaaaay too seriously....... Ivan Wolfe Community 21 03-19-2008 01:00 PM
Top Ten Sources Jon Gilson Community 4 12-01-2006 09:28 AM
Top Ten Reasons not to Run Marathons John Walsh Fitness 28 09-09-2005 03:13 PM
Top ten list Larry Lindenman Fitness 15 01-06-2005 02:23 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.