CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Jeff Barnett

Profile:
Lightbulb Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

I recently wrote an article for my affiliate's website on the top 10 "Aha!" moments I've experienced during my brief history with CrossFit. I thought it might be helpful for you or your clients.

Link (Work and Family Safe)
Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
James Rios

Profile:
Re: Top Ten CrossFit Aha! Moments

excellent article. i hadnt heard of Rippetoe's rehab theory. ill work on implementing it tomorrow. buggering elbow hurts when in full lock out during an OHS...
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rios View Post
excellent article. i hadnt heard of Rippetoe's rehab theory. ill work on implementing it tomorrow. buggering elbow hurts when in full lock out during an OHS...
ALL STOP!

Rip is very clear on the rehab protocol (which he got from Bill Starr) being written specifically for muscle belly tears. To quote the great Rip: "THIS METHOD WAS SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPED FOR MUSCLE BELLY INJURIES, AND DOES NOT WORK FOR TENDINITIS, JOINT CAPSULE INJURIES, TENDON OR LIGAMENT RUPTURES, OR INFECTIOUS DISEASE." The protocol mentioned in the article is also an abbreviated version of the real protocol. Go check out the Starting Strength forums for more elaboration on the method (there is a sticky at the top of the forum labeled "All injury questions: look here first").

So James, be careful with your elbow: if you apply a therapy not intended for that kind of injury you could make things worse! Sounds like you have more of a tendinitis kind of thing which should probably be attacked with physical therapy exercises (extensor and rotational exercises), some rest, and fish oil. Point is, figure out exactly what it is and exactly what the prospective therapy is intended for before you settle on anything.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Jeff Barnett

Profile:

Daivd, thanks for pointing that out. I updated the article with that caveat.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Matt Heriot

Profile:

Good article.

Ditto on the MU ah-ha moment. After weeks of continued failure on them I took 20 min after a WOD and just kept trying. I finally got one with seemingly less effort than I assumed it would take. My "ah-ha" was that MU are as much about form and technique as they are about strength.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
ALL STOP!

Rip is very clear on the rehab protocol (which he got from Bill Starr) being written specifically for muscle belly tears. To quote the great Rip: "THIS METHOD WAS SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPED FOR MUSCLE BELLY INJURIES, AND DOES NOT WORK FOR TENDINITIS, JOINT CAPSULE INJURIES, TENDON OR LIGAMENT RUPTURES, OR INFECTIOUS DISEASE." The protocol mentioned in the article is also an abbreviated version of the real protocol. Go check out the Starting Strength forums for more elaboration on the method (there is a sticky at the top of the forum labeled "All injury questions: look here first").

So James, be careful with your elbow: if you apply a therapy not intended for that kind of injury you could make things worse! Sounds like you have more of a tendinitis kind of thing which should probably be attacked with physical therapy exercises (extensor and rotational exercises), some rest, and fish oil. Point is, figure out exactly what it is and exactly what the prospective therapy is intended for before you settle on anything.
Hmmm, I wanted to link to Rippetoe's post with this information, but I can't make a link to starting strength.com. Why is that?

Also, can anyone give me more info on the elbow pain after attempting muscle ups? Two weeks ago I spent a while trying to do a MU. The next day I did some cleans and my elbow started hurting. I took a few days off from push and pull exercises. When I started back up, my elbow hurt after the first workout. I have since taken a longer time off (4 days) and now the pain is gone. Did I handle this right?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Evan Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
Hmmm, I wanted to link to Rippetoe's post with this information, but I can't make a link to starting strength.com. Why is that?
Politics...

You can use http://*******/
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
ALL STOP!

Here is a full post from Rippetoe: WFS
http://*******/bkmDWk
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Quote:
Also, can anyone give me more info on the elbow pain after attempting muscle ups? Two weeks ago I spent a while trying to do a MU. The next day I did some cleans and my elbow started hurting. I took a few days off from push and pull exercises. When I started back up, my elbow hurt after the first workout. I have since taken a longer time off (4 days) and now the pain is gone. Did I handle this right?
You probably need to do some elbow prep before you can do them safely. Maybe working muscle up negatives in conjuction with russin dips and false grip pull ups would be a good idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o52cZ-_bH7s (wfs)

Last edited by Kevin Shaughnessy : 04-07-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

Quote:
but I can't make a link to starting strength.com. Why is that?
Wow, bizarre and more than a little sad.