CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: What's in your fridge?

Fridge- Milk, Eggs, Ham, Assorted Salad Veggies, Butter, Condiments, Greek Yogurt, Various cheeses, Almond butter, sunflower seed butter, peanut butter, 85% chocolate, potatoes

Freezer- Variety of meats (pork chops, ground beef, a steak or two, a big roast beef, a frozen turkey... some bacon, and sausage), various frozen veggies, some frozen TJs entrees. Blueberries, Mangoes

Pantry - canned beans, tomatoes, grains (barely, quinoa, steel cut oats, buckwheat, couscous, flour, cornmeal etc.), dry lentils & split peas, assortment of fruits and unsweetened dried fruits

I'm sure theres a bunch of other stuff, I have a large collection of herbs and spices and whatnot, I like to cook.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
John Jaeckel

Profile:

I share a house with four non-Paleo/Zone people.

So, speaking strictly for myself:

FRIDGE: Omega 3 eggs, almond milk and coconut milk, veggies, berries

FREEZER: Steaks, burgers, salmon burgers, turkey burgers, venison, walleye, ice cream(!)

PANTRY: Garlic salt, kosher salt, flax seeds, whey protein, salsa, Zone and Balance bars
Old 12-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
Nathan Kulas

Profile:

I have visited the CrossFit321 affiliate here in Brunswick, but not as often as I would like. I went out as a spectator when they joined in with the Fight Gone Bad this summer - but that was the last time I was there. Money and time have been tight, but I think I'm going to start purchasing their 10-day pass for days when I don't have all the right equipment available - I won't go quite that many times in a month, because where I work we have a fairly well equipped gym on site for free - but no bumper plates for bailing on those Oly lifts, no rings, only my own personal KB, which is less than 1 pood (30#) etc.

We're big on farmers markets up here during the summer/autumn - its real popular here in Brunswick - I know there is a few that go on during the winter, but I haven't ever shopped at one.

I've only ever really had squash as cooked during thansgiving dinner - you know, boiled and then mashed. Perhaps cubed and boiled once or twice - but I personally like just about anything. My wife and kids on the other hand...

For those of you that suggested squash - any suggestions you can point me at for recipes for how to prepare various squash dishes?

As for me right now, I need to go shopping - I'm out of eggs, most of my proteins and most of my veggies, so it was a good time to ask for advice. My pantry is well equipped with beans and canned tomatoes, which mostly get used in chili.

I usually have chicken and pork in the fridge (or freezer - Shaws had a sale on pork loins, so I bought 2 5 pound loins for like 12$ a piece - one is still in the freezer, one is still being used for leftovers) and buy steak or hamburger fresh before using. Also in the freezer I usually have frozen berries which I used for smoothies.

I currently have celery, carrots, spinach, potatoes, onions and radishes for veggies; on the counter - bananas, oranges and apples for fruit.

I also have large amounts of cheese, flour, whole wheat breads and pasta; red pasta sauce (we do alfredo occasionaly). Pepperoni and pizza sauce for homemade pizza (WW crust), a few boxes of cereal, organic milk, some cold cuts (roast beef and turkey) and some yogurt. At work where I generally workout, I keep a container of whey protein and usually have nuts and fruit on hand.

It's certainly not a bad diet - but since starting CrossFit, I have not lost any weight at all - at 5'8" I weigh 185 #. I would expect with all the metcon, I would lose some weight, but haven't seen this and expect its my diet.

I generally do really good all day long, eating (usually) an egg or two with some form of pork product (bacon, canadian bacon, cubed or sliced ham, sometimes sausage), sometimes pancakes or toast, and possibly some potatoes, cubed or shredded and fried. I drink water almost exclusively, with some coffee (black) and juices mixed in. I usually bring a can of pineapple, an apple, a banana and perhaps some form of granola or protein bar and every once in a while a cheese stick to work for snacks - sometimes, supplementing this with protein shake is all I eat during the day, but usually I bring a sandwich on WW bread, with a slice of cheese, lettuce, tomato slices and onions or go out to subway or get a salad. Otherwise, I bring leftovers from dinner.

At dinner time, which is when my wife generally cooks for me, since I get home at about 6:30 is when the diet generally goes downhill. I won't be surprised to come home to just baked macaroni and cheese; cheese ravioli with pasta sauce; pizza; but sometimes get something like chicken, with butter/olive oil fried veggies (usually carrots) and a starch of some form on the side. She cooks more than enough for the two of us and the two kids, so I usually find myself eating second helpings - though I nearly always skip on dessert. This is especially true when she makes a delicious crock pot meal in the 6-quart slow cooker, where there is definitely enough for seconds (usually a chili, or fiesta style chicken, or perhaps a roast with veggies - all healthy though - zone friendly, but not paleo, due to the beans)

In high school and all through basic training going on 9 years ago, I weighed under 145 - so I know its not just genetics. Granted, I ran track and x-country and skied 15-20 times a season back then, along with x-country skiing and used to hike a lot more, but I would definitely say I am healthier all-around now. I certainly don't appear over-weight - 15.5" neck with 34" waist which calculates my body fat % to 17%.

Anyway, just trying to lean down a bit more - would also like to see if I can get below 174, which for my age and height would prevent me from getting taped when I do my APFT. I have about 10 pounds to go for that, but certainly don't want to sacrifice strength in pursuit of a lighter weight.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Stop having seconds at dinner.

You won't lose weight as long as you continue to eat enough food to support your current weight. You need to reduce your caloric intake.

Since you say you eat seconds almost always for dinner... seems to me that would be the easiest way to cut some hundreds of kcal from your intake.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
Doug Winenger

Profile:

I'm eating a hybrid Zone-Paleo menu sticking to the portion aspect of Zone and trying to follow the quality of food from Paleo...always seeking new ways to make my diet more 'clean'.

Freezer:
Chicken breasts
Pork Loin
Various fish (salmon, cod, tilapia, etc)
Various mixed veggies (cauliflower and broccoli are the primary staples)
lean turkey sausage links (to go with my eggs only 2 at any meal though; usually do this as a treat...so, once every 2 weeks or so)
lean ground beef

Fridge:
eggs (usually eat four eggs, only 2 egg yolks in one meal)
Apples (many many apples; eat plain and in smoothies all the time)
Oranges (same as apple, plain and in smoothies)
kiwis (when I can get em)
tangerines
cantaloupe (when I can get em)
strawberries
red peppers
jalepenos
lemon juice
tomatoes
yellow onions

pantry/countertop:
avocados (I love me some guacamole!)
protein powder
various spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, white pepper, etc)
Fish oil

I've had good results using about a 18-20 block split over 4-5 meals per day.

I cook all my protein on the weekends and use a vacuum food saver to store it since I don't have a lot of time to cook during the week. It makes it really easy to grab and go in the morning when i'm running out the door to work and helps me avoid cheating.

My typical meal is about 4 oz protein (chicken or pork), 4 cups of veggies, and fish oil for my fat. I drink 99% water with the occasional adult beverage thrown in (4 total since July 27). 2-3 of my meals every day are protein powder/fruit mixes/smoothies. They take me less than 5 minutes to whip up and allow me to measure out the exact portions I want to stick to my zone blocks.

I like to mix up some guacamole every couple of weeks as a treat and I'll sometimes even allow myself to eat it with some taco chips (my one 'cheat' food). I found a pretty good Paleo chili recipe that I also use about once per month as a special treat to break up/add some variety. Other than that, I constantly keep my eyes out for new recipes for preparing my chicken/pork/fish (dry rubs, marinades, etc). I don't have too many yet...but, I like what I have so far and it's been working.

I've eliminated all grains, dairy, HFCS, and hydrogenated oils completely.

I have a moderate to above average activity level studying Krav Maga anywhere from 2-5 times per week, Muay Thai 1-2 times per week, 1 strength class per week (focuses on technique for the oly lifts and finishes up with a short WOD each class), and I try to hit at least 3 additional WODs per week as much as possible.

I was 284 #'s July 27 and have worked my way from zero activity into the above routine since then. I'm closing in on 50 #'s lost (floating around 236-238 over the last week).

I would say cleaning up my diet was 90% of the progress above...and I find Krav Maga, Muay Thai, oly lifts, and CrossFit simply addictive. So...that helps...
Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #16
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Freezer: pork butt, pork tenderloin, brisket, whole chicken.

Fridge: salmon, brisket, lemons, brussel sprouts, carrots, celery, blueberries, strawberries, almond butter, eggs, fish oil capsules, and vitamin D.

Pantry: olive oil, walnuts, pecans, almonds, and brazil nuts.

This is just my stuff, there's alot more, but it's junk that my family eats (home on break).
Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Fridge: Salsa, Mustard, Lunch Meat, Broccoli, Apples, Pickles, Bacon, Eggs and 1 can of Miller High-Life from way back at my halloween party someone brought that's just rolling around that i need to throw away because the champagne of beer is nasty.

Freezer: Chicken Breasts, Sirloin Steak, Pork Chops, Catfish Nuggets, Frozen Broccoli, Cauliflower and Carrots, Stuffed Soles, Ground Beef, Hamburger Patties and some already cooked leftover pork shoulder roast

Pantry: Assorted spices, big jug of sea salt almonds, walnuts, chili mix.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
Luke Hale

Profile:

About 1/3 of the 2kg beef topside I slow-cooked on Wednesday, eggs, bacon, veg, leftovers of tonight's ratatouille ready for lunch tomorrow.

...and several cans of Guinness that have remained untouched for two weeks since I started eating paleo
Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #19
Nathan Kulas

Profile:

Aww - poor lil' Guinness. Do you guys manage to find the real guiness in the UK, or do you also get the imported stuff we find in the US?

Started leaning more toward a plaeo/zone "friendly" diet today and started keeping a food log.

For brekafast - 2 eggs + 1/4 lb sausage patty, + handfull of blueberries.
Snack - blueberry, raspberry, strawberry + blackberry smootie
Lunch - 8 oz chicken breast, topped with 2 small slices pepper jack cheese with 1 small tomato + 1/4 large avocado w/ evoo + pepper and sea salt
Snack - small handfull each of walnuts, carrots, broccoli & blueberries
Dinner - Tacos topped with avocado, tomato, onion, black olive, sweet potato and salsa picante, wrapped in boston lettuce. Had 2 of these (very small, 2 tbsp of beef per taco) and then had a "cheat" taco on the flour tortilla the wife and kids were having - the lettuce was messy, as it didn't retain the taco juice so well. Tacos were my own recipe, made from cumin, chili powder, onion powder, crushed garlic, diced onions and tomato puree - so no MSG or whatever you might find in store bought old el paso or etc.

I'll keep close to this at least until I go back to work (wife had a new baby boy on Tuesday! and I'm off for the week) - when that happens, I'll start packing more canned tuna and pineapple, and probably hard boiled eggs and fresh fruits and veggies.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:23 AM   #20
Sam Glass Jr.

Profile:

I haven't really decided yet which route to take, but Paleo sounds more like something I can adapt to more easily. I've been on a Zone-like diet before, and it just seemed way too much like having a third job, (I had two at the time: my day job and the time I put in at the gym, which I always counted as my 'second' gig.)

Unlike others who like to go paddling down "DENIAL" River, I already know my diet is pretty much crap right now, both with what I consume and when. I telework full-time, and between my work and personal computers, it's real easy to lose track of time. Most mornings I get breakfast in, but I wind up skipping lunch and making up for it at dinner. REALLY, really bad, I know. What's even worse is that I'm the chief cook around the house, and if I'm too tired to get in there and make something, more often than not we fall back on two deadly staples - Domino's pizza or Chinese food! I do try to work some steamed vegetables in there with sauces on the side to offset the General Tso's chicken, but I won't even PRETEND that the Domino's is anything like healthy. (Especially the large, deep-dish Bacon, Beef and Onion pizza with BBQ sauce and extra cheese.)

When I can steer myself clear from that crap, I think I can do pretty well. What's in the fridge right now?

Freezer: Italian sausages, hot and mild; ground turkey; spinach, broccoli, prepped green peppers, butter substitute, two loaves of bread, half a loaf of homemade pumpkin bread, blackberries, bags of Starbuck's coffee, the last bit of Dutch Chocolate ice cream.

Bottom: one and a half loaves of bread, butter substitute, natural peanut butter (crunchy), sugar-free fruit spread, assorted salsas and salad dressings (though we have more of the "ghosts" of lettuce and fresh veggies than the real thing), two gallons of skim milk, several small cartons of Greek yogurt, a quart of vanilla yogurt, two dozen eggs, sugar-free Cool Whip, leftover fruit cocktail, cooked chicken breasts and one package of uncooked chicken breasts. There's also about half a dozen Vidalia onions in the vegetable drawer.

The pantry is where we do a little bit better. Canned peas, carrots, spinach, corn, green beans, black beans and mushrooms in abundance (great for making a quick kettle of soup with chopped chicken breast and spices), chicken broth for a soup base, whole wheat pasta, jarred spaghetti sauce, peaches, pears and fruit cocktail in lite syrup or pear juice, more peanut butter (the regular kind you don't have to stir up for my other half), applesauce, apple butter, fruit spread (with and without sugar), plus a bunch of canned soups when I don't feel like making homemade. Cream of mushroom doubles as gravy when I do a chicken dinner or a lower-calorie ground turkey stroganoff with egg noodles.

We have baking staples, too (regular and wheat flour, sugar, etc.) which I try NOT to keep around the house, since I will bake cakes and breads in a heartbeat...it's about as bad as handing a loaded .45 Colt revolver to a five-year old. So as you can see, my kitchen is very schizoid. It probably wouldn't take much to "clean it up" and make the choices healthier, but working on the frequency of meals (and shrinking the portion sizes) are bigger issues for me now than anything else.

Last edited by Sam Glass Jr. : 12-19-2009 at 04:24 AM. Reason: spelling, content