CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-10-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
Roy

Profile:

To the firefighters, or former firefighters, how do/did you like the career? I got my Personal Trainer Certification, but there are no gyms hiring trainers right now. However, my Mother showed me an ad of an opening for entry level firefighters in Great Falls. Im interested.

If you wouldn't mind, may I have some input on the work itself? Pros, Cons, salary, risks, experience, etc.? I would really appreciate it. If you dont want to talk about it on the board, my email is: Roy@dcemail.com Thankyou!
Cheers

Roy
Old 01-12-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
Steve Nugent

Profile:
Roy,
Did you get my email?
Thanks,
Nugent
Old 01-12-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
Roy

Profile:

Got it and sent one back. Thanks Steve!
Old 01-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #4
Scott Parker

Profile:
roy-

i thought about becoming a firefighter as well. seems like an awesome profession. killer schedule, which gives you time to train, and you're doing something noble and selfless. i have a close friend who is a retired Lt. from FDNY. he's only like 46. he's retired because he was injured too many times. he's woken up in the hospital more than once not knowing what happened, punctured a lung, broken ribs, ruptured an eardrum, been burned a bunch, and popped his knee out dragging a 300lb. woman out of a burning building, and the bathtub that fell on him from the floor above is wht did him in. after taking to him for a while i opted to stick with my original plan and become an RN, and eventually a flight nurse, and then NP. i don't have the balls to run into a burning building, and this is coming from someone who is an ice climber! props to you if you end up doing it and to everyone on the site that is already a firefighter! you guys (and girls) are amazing, albiet a little crazy!

scott
Old 01-12-2004, 04:37 PM   #5
Steve D.

Profile:

Roy,

I think one of the rewards of being a firefighter would be to have people like me, my wife and two boys ETERNALLY grateful for saving our house in October} (on the left). Our neighbors weren't so lucky. They even saved the fledling Crossfit garage gym inside. We were able to identify the station by the number on the fire engine, and brought them gifts; my boys made a poster.

To all firefighters out there...a HUGE thank you for the risks and sacrifices you take to save lives and property! I will never forget what happened this day, for as long as I live.

Thanks!

Steve D.