CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Alex Reynolds

Profile:
Upping the Weight on Met-Cons

Just a theory, and I believe I have heard this discussed before on X-fit, but what do you all think of increasing weight on some of the MetCons. I'm thinking of the benchmarks with standard weight. For example a 115 Fran, or a 155 Elizabeth.

I think this would breed some nasty strength. I know that it will effect the metabolic nature of the workouts, but I figure if you do it across the board, in cycles of a month or two, it wouldn't be detrimental.

As many have pointed out, Black Boxing, or Starting Strenght type stuff is foundational for the real fire breather crossfitters. I am just wondering if you could get some of the same effects via this route.

Has anyone ever tried/though of/considered this?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Paul Sousa

Profile:
Re: Upping the Weight on Met-Cons

www.crossfitfootball.com

Also look into for CFSB.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Robert Newman

Profile:

I've been thinking about this lately. It seems like the more elite athletes should be doing this. There are an increasing number of people with a sub 3 min Fran time, sub 2 grace, etc and it will come to the point where you cannot make any more progress. I think more athletes should be scaling UP on these workouts. For example, there was a video last week of Josh Everett doing Isabel in 1:11. That was *(#&$ing amazing! But I couldn't help but think he needs more weight.

Thoughts about scaling up?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

yeah, the reference to xfit football goes to my point. I have heard others say that a football player may need to up the weights for the WODS. What would be the harm in a typical crossfitter doing the same?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Rafe Kelley

Profile:

To Quote Mark Rippetoe "Stronger people are Harder to Kill and Generally more useful" Of course its good to scale up weight is just another part of the challenge of workout that can be varied. There is nothing sacred about the number 95 pounds on thrusters if you can do 115 or 135 your definitely going to benefit.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Scaling goes both ways. Check out the sticky in excercises for Hybrid Heavy MetCons.

CFSB is more of a combination of heavy lifting with shorter MetCons designed for people with good CF experience who find that strength is the limiting factor in their performance.

Many suggest that if you are hitting killer times on the benchmarks, go ahead and up the weight.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
I've been thinking about this lately. It seems like the more elite athletes should be doing this. There are an increasing number of people with a sub 3 min Fran time, sub 2 grace, etc and it will come to the point where you cannot make any more progress. I think more athletes should be scaling UP on these workouts. For example, there was a video last week of Josh Everett doing Isabel in 1:11. That was *(#&$ing amazing! But I couldn't help but think he needs more weight.

Thoughts about scaling up?
Go watch him do King Kong and then tell us about him needing more weight

Seriously, I'm guessing that video was just for demonstration/record-setting purposes. He doesn't even warm-up the snatch with weights that low, apparently. Maybe Josh could give some more background, if he's around.

Also see: http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...caling-up.html
(w/f s)
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

There's a whole thread called "hybrid program heavy metcons" which basically has this type of thing.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Jacob Gallaway

Profile:

I have also wondered about this at what point do you scale up on workouts for example if you have a sub 3 fran should you then scale up. a sub 2 grace a sub 2 isabelle? i think if you become in this realm the mainsite wod is to easy and you should scale up the weight a certain percentage and keep it there among all the wods. i read at one time pat barber was doing this something like if a human does x amount of weight pat barber does 1.13x this amount of weight so i am guessing josh everett does 10x the normal amount of weight;also not to thread hijack but i have been wondering lately how the 1rm lifting compares to the multiple rep lifting in crossfit for example if you work on only 1rm snatch and you get to 300 pounds and you have a sub 2 isabele. does the reverse some what hold true if you work your way to a sub 2 isabel are you going to have at least a 200 pound snatch. if you have a sub 3 diane are you going to have at least a 400 pound dl really curious on this one in programming????
Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
Bert Brams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Gallaway View Post
also not to thread hijack but i have been wondering lately how the 1rm lifting compares to the multiple rep lifting in CrossFit for example if you work on only 1rm snatch and you get to 300 pounds and you have a sub 2 isabele. does the reverse some what hold true if you work your way to a sub 2 isabel are you going to have at least a 200 pound snatch. if you have a sub 3 diane are you going to have at least a 400 pound dl really curious on this one in programming????
Strength translates to metcon, but the reverse doesn't work that well.

For a Girl like Isabel a certain amount of base strength is required, but you don't automatically snatch a great amount of weight because of it.

Same thing with Diane. There are 300 pound deadlifters with a sub 3 Diane, but there are more 400+ pound deadlifters with a sub 3, simply because they can automatically exert more power on the lift thanks to the added strength.
100m sprint: 10:97 - BW:165 My now or never log