CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-22-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:  
In the introductory crossfit journal it states that after one is able to complete a 3 minute L-hold that all other ab work will be "silly easy". Any testimonies to this? Not that I don't believe it, but evil wheels and dragon flags seem to keep me pretty challenged for the time being.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gregory-

I've worked up to a little over a minute. prior to this I could not do the wheel from standing. I have not tinkered with dragon flags in quite some time but I have to say that the ab sequences of gymnastics makes virtually everything else silly easy.
Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.
Robb
Old 12-23-2003, 09:37 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Holding an L for 3 minutes is no small task. This would be tough even for most high level gymnasts. Anyone trained up to this point does find other ab work silly easy because to train to that point requires lots of intense other work. Just working on static L holds will not make other ab work silly easy, nor is it the best way to achive a 3 minute L hold. One other Crossfit philosophy is very important here. "Mix it up".

The 3 minute L hold is an example of an acheivable goal that will indicate the level of ab strength you have. Coach, correct me if I am wrong on what you meant here.

As far as a testimony to this. I can pretty much guarantee that anyone that can hold a 3 minute L sit will blow 99.9% of the population out of the water on any ab conditioning.

Though I do have one ab question for you folks around the training industry as a whole. We have found a kinda bizarre trend with functional ab strenth. I have a whole lot of folks that can do as many V ups as they can do crunches (myself included). Why is this. The crunches are less resistance, and less range of motion. I have some thoughts but want your folks opinions.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Crunches are so silly and boring that you quit early?:biggrin:
Old 12-23-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Roger,
I think that might just because of the build you find common with gymnasts- top heavy. When you cannot move your feet, you have to curl your spine even more in order to keep from falling back. Compared to most people, gymnasts will have a tougher time with crunch type movements. I was surprised to find that none of the gymnasts in my gym could do a Janda sit-up. But I think it's mostly because of their difficulty in keeping their feet down.
Roger, try the sit-ups with your feet anchored down. Have someone stand on them or anchor them with a couch. When you do this, I think you especially will find the sit-ups to be easy.
Of course, I could be completely wrong. I agree with David, too:-)