CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Mike Darley

Profile:
Can I eat less?

This is my first post. I'm new both the Crossfit and to Zone eating. My recent introduction to Crossfit was "Fight Gone Bad", which in my case should have been call "One Guy Stands There While the Other Guy Pummels Him." I quickly developed a love/hate relationship with Crossfit.

Anyway, I've been eating the Zone for about a week now and it seems like a lot to me. I'm 6' 265 and about 25% bodyfat as it stands. I'd like to maintain my present muscle mass, and perhaps even increase it a bit. According to what I've seen my eating schedule should be 5, 5, 2, 5, 2 blocks. To be honest, though, I find it hard to shovel that much food in especially in the morning right after my workout. So my two questions are 1) have I calculated my eating schedule correctly 2) if so, can I eat less with similar results?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Re: Can I eat less?

My advice to someone just starting The Zone would be to make sure your meals conform to the required ratios (40/30/30). At first I would not worry too much about exactly how much you are eating. Concentrate on the correct ratios and good food choices. Write down the amounts you eat in your food log like it is your job. Now at this point see what happens. If you find yourself getting the results you want, in this case it appears to be weight loss, then awesome. If not then adjust what you are doing to produce the results you want.

This is simply one way to approach this problem. I'm sure there are a thousand solutions. The best thing is going to be picking a plan that self regulates(ie have objective emasures you can use to then modify the plan if its not producing the expected results) and stick to it. Good luck man!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Eating all those carbs, esp. in the form of veggies, is tough. I think you could prob cut down the carbs, or replace with some fat, if you wanted. That is what I do.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Eddie Watts

Profile:

when i started on zone i ate my carb blocks as fruit during the day, and oats for breakfast because i like porridge then. as time went on i exchanged some of my fruit carbs to vegetable carbs.
as brian says it can be very hard to fit all the carb blocks in if you eat only veg as your carb blocks.
at present i am very happy with results. in fact i doubled my fat blocks last week (30 january) as i was still hungry between meals and now a week later i have lost 4 pounds, despite doing less work outs due to weather.
odd!

at 6 foot and 265 i would have said xl male, i am 6'4" 210 pounds and am on 5 meals of 4 blocks each.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Apples are your friend on the Zone.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Mike Darley

Profile:

Okay, so one of you guys said i can lower my overall block intake while maintaining the 40/30/30 ratio, and one said replace a couple carb blocks with fat blocks. Now I'm even more confused. Just kidding.

Basically, I'm a fat guy, so my main goal it to lose fat, while maintaining muscle. The muscle part I'm not too worried about. I tend to be able to maintain and gain muscle fairly easily. It's the fat loss I have a problem with. I'm thinking I could do some kind of modification of the zone to lose fat, then change the plan to maintain once I get to where I need to be. The question is what would be best? Lower carbs, or the same ratio with lower overall calorie intake? Please help. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Darley View Post
Okay, so one of you guys said i can lower my overall block intake while maintaining the 40/30/30 ratio, and one said replace a couple carb blocks with fat blocks. Now I'm even more confused. Just kidding.

Basically, I'm a fat guy, so my main goal it to lose fat, while maintaining muscle. The muscle part I'm not too worried about. I tend to be able to maintain and gain muscle fairly easily. It's the fat loss I have a problem with. I'm thinking I could do some kind of modification of the zone to lose fat, then change the plan to maintain once I get to where I need to be. The question is what would be best? Lower carbs, or the same ratio with lower overall calorie intake? Please help. Thanks.
Don't lower you overall blocks. If you need to modify things, lower your carb blocks and up your fat blocks, but I wouldn't recommend you change anything until you've spent 3+ weeks eating STRICT zone from quality food sources (Meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little grains, no sugar. Nothing processed.) Do this with zero cheats and see how well it works.

Are you weighing and measuring everything? everything?

Fat loss is a gradual thing. Train hard, eat right and it will happen. Most people fail because they don't stick to their program.

Above all, avoid eating carbs without protein/fat at all costs. Insulin spikes will tell the body to store energy(in the form of fat).
Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Mike Darley

Profile:

Okay, thanks. One, more question. At my bodyweight and body fat would I be considered a large male or xl male? I know I'm XL now, but I'd like to be large. Do I eat for where I am or where I'd like to be?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Darley View Post
Okay, thanks. One, more question. At my bodyweight and body fat would I be considered a large male or xl male? I know I'm XL now, but I'd like to be large. Do I eat for where I am or where I'd like to be?

Your current lean body mass would have you eating 22.7 blocks a day. If you want to "maintain [your] present muscle mass, and perhaps even increase it a bit" 19 blocks will be too low.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Mike Darley

Profile:

Okay, so what if I eat more blocks of protien, but maintain the same level of carbs and fats? In other words, maye three 5 block meals and two 4 block meals, but only eath like 3 blocks of carbs or something like that.