CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Dylan Miley

Profile:
Critique my "diet"

I've been eating like this for about 5 weeks now. Currently I'm trying to lose bodyfat, it's working so far but I feel that I have to cut down on my cals even more to see more results.

Portion 1: 7 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1c oatmeal, fruit, multi

(workout followed by whey protein drink and banana)

Portion 2: 1 c brown rice, chicken breasts or 96/4 ground beef, multi

Portion 3: Same as 2

Portion 4-7: Lean meat, a lot of veggies, good fat source (Varies. Natural nut butter, nuts, olive oil, and the like)

Last portion of the day may be just a cup of cottage cheese or something. I'll throw in a hardboiled egg or two in between those meals if I'm feeling really hungry or if I had a really hard and heavy workout earlier in the day.

Iíll sometimes do some kind of cardiovascular activity later in the day, like play football or basketball or just run.

Iím at about 243 right now, lost like 10 lbs the past 5 weeks doing this.

Am I doing things wrong or right?

My strength has either not been effected and has actually improved in my oly lifts.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
James Compora

Profile:
Re: Critique my "diet"

well to me it looks just fine... You know alot of people on here are going to tell you to drop the brown rice
Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

if your losing weight and happy with your strength gains/maintenance then it must be working
Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Dylan Miley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Compora View Post
well to me it looks just fine... You know alot of people on here are going to tell you to drop the brown rice
What's wrong with brown rice?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

nothing, it's just an added complex carb (tho low GI)....the quickest method of shedding a few bf% is to cut out a large amount of carbs from you diet.

if you want a quick lean out, switch all your grains/oats/breads to veggies/fruit for about 2 months....you'll lean out quick as hell...then once you've reached your desired leanness, you can slowly start introducing your starchy carbs back in moderation
Old 12-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Liam Dougherty Springer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Brauer View Post
nothing, it's just an added complex carb (tho low GI)....the quickest method of shedding a few bf% is to cut out a large amount of carbs from you diet.

if you want a quick lean out, switch all your grains/oats/breads to veggies/fruit for about 2 months....you'll lean out quick as hell...then once you've reached your desired leanness, you can slowly start introducing your starchy carbs back in moderation

Only thing I would add is keep fruit to first meal and Post Work Out and eat nothing but greens or broccoli for carbs on rest days.

Be sure to keep protien high enough to recover but adding fat can have a muscle spareing effect which will enhance recovery and decrease muscle loss when dieting. I would personaly shoot for anywhere from 50-70% of my kcals coming from good fat sources.

That being said stick to what you like if you haven't tried a high fat cutting phase you might want to try it often people get good results with increased comfort when compared to high carb cutting.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Dylan Miley

Profile:

Quote:
the quickest method of shedding a few bf% is to cut out a large amount of carbs from you diet.

if you want a quick lean out, switch all your grains/oats/breads to veggies/fruit for about 2 months....you'll lean out quick as hell
I already have cut out a large amount of carbs from my general daily intake. I used to have A LOT more than I am right now.

Also, any scientific literature to back up your claims?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
it's just an added complex carb (tho low GI)
That is somewhat debatable. According to a lot of sources I've perused, white rice and brown rice have nearly identical GI values. You can actually see this by flipping over the bag of rice and looking at the nutritional content of it versus brown rice. While brown rice does have more fiber (indigestible carbohydrate), it isn't all that much more. What I've seen is that brown rice and white rice have GI values within 6% or so.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #9
Lee Weiyang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Miley View Post
I already have cut out a large amount of carbs from my general daily intake. I used to have A LOT more than I am right now.

Also, any scientific literature to back up your claims?
Sorry, but I do not understand what are you expecting from that poster. You have already mentioned that you have cut your carb intake to lose weight, so obviously you do know the relation between carb intake and weight loss. Hence, why would he need "scientific literature" when he's just reinforcing what you already know? i.e. less carbs = more weight loss

Some "scientific literature" on low-carb diets for weight-loss (ALL WFS)

A study on atkins
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/...65b8c68ae71d7c

Another study on low-carb diets to treat obesity
http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/abstract/140/10/769

Is a calorie a calorie? Metabolic advantage of low-carb diets
http://www.webcitation.org/query.php.../1743-7075-3-9

Another article on "a calorie is a calorie"
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...medid=15282028

Thermodynamics of weightloss diets
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...medid=15588283
Old 12-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Kevin Hewell

Profile:

I think you have a misconception regarding fats and carbs. Read Good Calories Bad Calories. Eat the fats not the carbs. And please stop throwing out egg yolks.