CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Darrell E. White

Profile:
I just finished "Angie" and while I did monstrously better than my prior effort, I am still unable to string together long enough stretches of body weight exercises to really get the job done on this type of WOD. I have the same issue on the "Fillthy Fifty" and other exercises. I simply poop out endurance-wise before I get out of breath.

I thought one way to address this, at least for the body weight exercises, might be to do a series of max reps of the four exercises in "Angie" as follows:

PU/Push-ups/sit-ups/squats for max reps each. Rest one minute, then repeat for a total of 5 rounds.

Sort of a "Angie to the Max".

Any thoughts? Any other suggestions for increasing the muscle endurance aspect of my fitness?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Michael Homburger

Profile:
I have just the thing for you:

"Tabata Something Else"

Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
you could also do it PU/Sit ups/ Push ups/squats in order to rest muscle groups while working others
Old 01-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
You can train to get better at individual WOD in many effective ways.
You can also just do the WODs and will see improvements in individual WOD,at a slower pace.Quite often your results will be more dependent on what you did the day before.

That said if you want to trash Angie,just regularly include high rep BW exercises (push up,chin up,squat,sit up & variations) with set rests into your Sport Specific training.
Train for the training.:happy:
Old 01-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
Muscle endurance is built through GTG or other high rep (or total volume) exercises. That's all there is to it.

Strength is built by lifting closer to 1 RM and neurologically mainly when introduced to a new exercise.

If you want the former, do high reps bodyweight exercises like Andrew said or a GTG program. Tabata works too.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Darrell, that's part of the game! Try this: never rest between exercises in the WOD. If you do 21 reps of thrusters followed by 21 reps of pull-ups and you break the Thrusters into 7-7-7, after the last 7 Thrusters immediately jump up to the pull-up bar and crank off 7 or as many reps as you can. Most people naturally take a break between diffrent exercises...the trick is when you change the exercise, you change the stress and have he ability to do more than you would think. This immediately decreases your time! If you made dramatic improvements in Angie, the program is working...let it work. The only thing I would do is work weak areas in the warm-ups. 3 sets of sub max pull-ups and then knock off some pull-ups throughout the day. I try to do 50 pull-ups everyday, in sets of 10. Sub max, no big deal, but it keeps my pull-up numbers up (GTG I guess). Add sub max bodyweight exercises into your warm-up and increase the #s every 2 to 3 weeks. Don't chase, when you focus too hard on something...something else suffers. Let the balance of the WODS work for you, you are only competing against yourself...if you improved, you "won"!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
Michael Tong

Profile:
Hi Larry,

Do you recommend GTG on rest days as well? I've been doing WoDs as Rx'd as possible plus 5x5 sessions on day 1 and day 3 of each cycle. I just don't want to over-train, and didn't know if GTG'ing for PUs on rest days would hurt or not.

I have the same problem as Darrell. I can do 20 dead-hang PUs on a very good day (well rested, etc.) and probably 15 when relatively fresh. However, when I try to string sets together (like Angie) my reps drop off dramatically after the first set (like down to 5 reps at a time).

My Angie time is slow because I do exactly what you mention - naturally take a breather between exercises. I am going to take your advice and not take breaks from now on and see how much my body can really take.

So much to work on, so little time.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Bill Russell

Profile:
Hey guys,

I did Angie the other day in 38 minutes, real slow due to 22+ minutes for the pullups alone. I wanted a benchmark time for doing all unassisted pullups, so I resisted swtiching to jumping or assisted. ( FYI-a year ago I could not do one p/u).

My quesiton is, would I be better doing jumping pu with full negatives instead to get the full met-con effect? At the end of Angie, my muscles were shot but I was hardly winded.

My guess is that the answer is to do both, mix 'em up.

Darrell, I'm up for trying your "angie to the max" with you next time we get together.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Gentlemen:

Thanks for your thoughts. Tabata work-outs would be helpful for PU and push-ups since I pretty much max out in 20 seconds anyway! Larry, I jumped right to the next exercise on this "Angie" for the first time. What ultimately killed me was the need to "reset" after progressively smaller numbers of reps on the PU and push-ups. Although each and every measurement on fitness is definitely improving for me on CF, the ability to string together sets of max reps where the max is a reasonable number, still eludes me.

I've recently upped my PU and dips to 11 in my CFWU and I do 3 sets. I'll try to work in some sub-max sets in the appropriate WOD's, too. I don't think the staff and patients in the office are going to understand GTG in my bowtie and white coat, though:lol:

Bill, you're on. I still need to check my calendar for that date.

I'm open for more suggestions...

Old 02-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Michael, yeah do them on rest days. The key is sub-maximal, technique work. Another key is: incresase strength to weight ratio. Darrell, if you dropped 5 pounds of fat mass, think of how many more pull-ups you could string together per set. Now increase max strength, without hypertrophy...your in (sets in the 90-105% 1 rep max range). Darrell also, during Angie, try smaller sets of pull-ups with shorter rest breaks. Sometimes people know they have 10 pull-ups and crank out 10...now they need to rest for a minute or two just to get 9, they then screw into the ground. This person should do sets of 5 with 15 - 30 seconds rest.