CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Asaf Gil

Profile:
I recently read Art De Vani's post about sports and spine injuries:
http://www.arthurdevany.com/archives..._and_spin.html

where he talks about the discs being fully hydrated in the morning and how easy it is to damage them at that time of day.
It got me worried since I sometimes do DL/Squat/Clean practice first thing in the morning.

I know many do the WOD early in the morning, does that include the "heavy" stuff (singles WOD, cleans, weighted squats) or just the metcon/bwt WODS?

Am I damaging my spine? :sad:
Asaf
Old 03-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
I hurt my spine doing stuff with poor form, support, and foolishly. I have heard this before also, but does it apply to every human with a spine? By the time I get to a "gym" floor I have been awake for 2 hours at the least. Good theory, but there are plenty of people who do a workout first thing in the morning, but do not experience damage. Then again, I have thought to myself what else do I do in my daily life that compromises back health?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
This topic just came up in the Injuries section:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/20696.html
Old 03-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
In the thread Lynne references this is discussed. It was hammered into me at Chiro school about the disks being full. I've certainly seen some patients who torched their backs first thing in the AM performing pretty innocent tasks (tying shoes eg.). However, a good warm-up period should take care of all of this. I generally feel stronger with the power lifts in the afternoon, but if I'm forced to work out in the AM I make sure I go for a 15 minute walk, then do the CF Warmup for another 10 minutes, then I can squat and DL to my heart's content.

Of course, you can hurt yourself at any time of the day lifting with improper form.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Wow...I am a morning guy all the way. I feel much stronger in the AM, and I've never banged myself up by simply lifting intelligently. The (very) few times I've hurt myself it was because I did something stupid...regardless of the time of day. Last time it was mid-afternoon in fact.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
Matt, this discussion is about humans and their disks, not government cyborgs.

Sorry, couldn't resist that.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
John Seaburg

Profile:
I don't know about early morning injuries but because of cortisol levels it's usually best to exercise after 10am. I've heard, from a reliable source, 3pm is the perfect time. Of course, not many working people can do that time.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I am a morining guy by necessity, I think I feel stronger in the afternoon, but have to make due. A good solid warmup and a cup of coffee works.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

I would echo Larry's comments. I definitely get my best "physical" performances in the early/mid-afternoon (1 - 2 p.m.) That's when my body "wants" to put in a maximum performance.

But necessity dictates that I do it around 7:30 - 8:30 a.m., after arising about 5:30 - 6:00. Warmup and coffee are wonderful.

I've never felt that I was in any particular danger due to the hour, and I've certainly included max-effort DLs at this hour.

For what it's worth, establishing the workout habit is more critical (for me) than doing it at any specific time. When I was much, much younger (and living in a warmer climate), I consistently did my running about midnight, after getting off work. That worked fine, too.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #10
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Re: "I've heard, from a reliable source, 3pm is the perfect time".

My understanding is that everyone has slightly different rhythms, and that hormonal levels will fluctuate differently in each person. So some folks will actually peak earlier, some later, etc. Anybody else have an opinion on this? Or an identified source I could check out? Thanks.