CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Dan John's Big 21

I am looking for anyone out there that has done Dan John's Big 21 routine, and done it for the full Rx'd three weeks. I am looking for opinions on it, as I am planning on starting it come Monday morning (6 Jan) There are a couple of people out there that I have talked to that seem to have liked it, and enjoyed the results after the three weeks pertaining to strength, and the O lift gains. Any and all comments would be appreciated. Also, I was wondering if any of you out there that have done it, did you Crossfit on the "off" days, or stick to the day on, day off schedule, and do the big 21 only. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Re: Dan John's Big 21

Chris, I did the program last year for the prescribed length of time. I experienced great gains in my O-lifts (30-40 lbs). Metcon does not suffer much. I thought it was a great way to focus on the O-lifts. I did some of the assistance lifts during the program on rest days or as second workouts.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Where's this Big 21 program? I looked on his site and in his T-Nation archives. Maybe I'm missing something?

I am intrigued though.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Where's this Big 21?
http://danjohn.org/bp.pdf (wfs)

pg. 68
Old 01-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
William Gaus

Profile:

Question for the group. What are your thoughts in subbing Dead-Lifts for one of the prescribed in Dan Johns 21? Any suggestions on which one I should sub?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gaus View Post
Question for the group. What are your thoughts in subbing Dead-Lifts for one of the prescribed in Dan Johns 21? Any suggestions on which one I should sub?

How about "none", then it won't be Dan John's 21, it will be William Gaus's "Almost 21, but not quite.

Email Dan, I'm sure he'll provide an answer.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
William Gaus

Profile:

I like the sound of that Jay! William Gaus's Blatant Rip Off of Someone Else Concept: But Not Quite As Good.

I think we can market that.

I guess my aim in replacing a prescribed exercise with a dead-lift is a bit off base. Seeing that the 3 DJ proposes are all dynamic in nature compared to the DL? So from that point it would seem to defeat the purpose of the DJ21? I ask not because I doubt, I am just trying to learn.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gaus View Post
I like the sound of that Jay! William Gaus's Blatant Rip Off of Someone Else Concept: But Not Quite As Good.

I think we can market that.

I guess my aim in replacing a prescribed exercise with a dead-lift is a bit off base. Seeing that the 3 DJ proposes are all dynamic in nature compared to the DL? So from that point it would seem to defeat the purpose of the DJ21? I ask not because I doubt, I am just trying to learn.
William, seeing as the Goal of DJ21 is to increase your o-lift totals, dynamic lifts are what you need to do. The DL is a little different from clean or snatch pulls technique-wise, but very similar in what muscles are worked. So, if you're looking to improve your 0-lifts stick to the program.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
Brett Sammis

Profile:

Having never done the program I couldn't say, but it would certainly seem that doing heavy singles in DL 3x a week for 3 weeks would be asking for trouble. I'm guessing that part of what makes the program possible is that they are dynamic lifts (as has been pointed out) so it's not a truly max muscular effort on the part of your legs and lower back. He even mentions earlier in the E-book the benefits of the dynamic lifts as resistant to overtraining.

bts
Old 01-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #10
Chris Stowe

Profile:

Larry,

Thanks for the input. I started this morning, and I liked it, I just felt like the starting weights were a little lower than I am accustomed to, but it looks like that wont be the case in the upcoming weeks, so I am going to stick to it, and see what comes out of it. If anyone else has any opinions, I would like to hear them as well. I liked the lower weights for no other reason than I could really focus on my form. (keeping chin out, butt back, whipping arms, third pull, things like that) So, maybe there is a method to the madness. Thanks again Larry, appreciate the input.