CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
Julie Parisien

Profile:
Unhappy feeling crappy and hungry...

So far after a week, the Zone boundless energy is far from kicking in. I am dragging myself around, and muster just enough energy for the WOD. Is this a detox phase? Anybody else suffer through the beginning of the Zone? Once you get going on this, does it REALLY make a difference? I was feeling ok before starting, but admittedly I am way too fat - probably 30% BF. Which is why I am trying this method. But gosh am I ever tired. almost ready to go back to on demand eating and screw the measuring stuff.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: feeling crappy and hungry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Parisien View Post
So far after a week, the Zone boundless energy is far from kicking in. I am dragging myself around, and muster just enough energy for the WOD. Is this a detox phase? Anybody else suffer through the beginning of the Zone? Once you get going on this, does it REALLY make a difference? I was feeling ok before starting, but admittedly I am way too fat - probably 30% BF. Which is why I am trying this method. But gosh am I ever tired. almost ready to go back to on demand eating and screw the measuring stuff.
Julie, dont give up --that will only make this journey more difficult. You said you want to reduce your bf. Stick with and do yourself a huge favor--buy Nicole's article "Getting off the Crack" I believe its CFJ #21--well worth the money.

Nobody said it would be easy but stick to it! Use the sheer force if you must. When you feel overwhelmed try drinking some (unsweetened) herbal teas. And be ensured you are sleeping enough (best case scenario would be 9hrs/night).

Many on these boards have been in the same situation as you, myself included. Its not easy but the results with amaze you! to the best journey of your life!!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Nicholas Ranney

Profile:

Julie, I hear you and feel your pain. At 4 weeks in to the Zone I still have cravings for sweets that the book said would'nt be there. I have lost 4 additional pounds since starting the Zone and as the book said " about 1 pound of fat is healthy and normal. It works. You have only been at it a week, you are still adjusting. Remember your goals and reasons for choosing this route assuming you CrossFit, we work to damn hard to hide under extra body fat. Stay strong.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Julie Parisien

Profile:

Thank you . Sometimes I just need some encouragement. I did get Nicole's article, but it is hard to compare my 36 year old mother of 4 situation to hers (although I don't know her story). I read another thread about Rippetoe ragging on asthetics and emphasizing strength over looks. I feel quite strong and am psyched to get stronger, and am unsure whether losing the extra fat will REALLY make me feel that much better (running will be easier, not to mention pull ups!).

on another note, if Mommy is dieting, the family is dieting. Anyone know if kids do ok with zoning? common sense tells me if its good for us its good for them, maybe with some extra fat blocks?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Thank you . Sometimes I just need some encouragement. I did get Nicole's article, but it is hard to compare my 36 year old mother of 4 situation to hers (although I don't know her story). I read another thread about Rippetoe ragging on asthetics and emphasizing strength over looks. I feel quite strong and am psyched to get stronger, and am unsure whether losing the extra fat will REALLY make me feel that much better (running will be easier, not to mention pull ups!).

on another note, if Mommy is dieting, the family is dieting. Anyone know if kids do ok with zoning? common sense tells me if its good for us its good for them, maybe with some extra fat blocks?
First, if your kids are over the age of 2 years, they can eat what you eat with worry for their nutrition. You'll be doing them a service if you keep junk food out of the house. I don't believe in micromanaging kids' intake because I think too much attention paid to what they eat gives them a) too much power over their parents or b) control issues or c) eating disorders. Just provide healthful foods in reasonable quantities.

Here are some tips I've found for family food issues:

1. I serve restaurant-style, not family style. Putting platters on the table laden with food encourages overeating, while portioning food in the kitchen onto plates helps with portion control. If anyone's still hungry and wants more, they have to get up for it. The only exception is the green salad I almost always include as part of dinner. That sits on the table for as many servings as anyone wants....'til the bowl is empty.

2. It's nice to start with a clear soup as a first course. This takes the edge off our hunger and slows down the meal. I keep organic, low sodium boxes of broth on hand for when I don't make my own, and just toss in some chopped onions, carrots, leftover bits of meat or cooked veggies. You can turn chicken broth into something Asian with a touch of sesame oil, green onions, finely julienned carrots, or a hearty Italian style vegetable with tomatoes, basil and oregano.

3. Serve fruit for dessert, topped with a few chopped nuts.

I have a bias that kids don't need to be calculating blocks. Just put healthful food on their plates and let them eat.

It's working real well for my family. My husband and son are both losing weight eating what I serve!

Susie
Old 11-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Hang in there. Use an online calculator like this one (WFS) to estimate your body fat percentage and needed blocks to make sure you're getting enough (Crossfit counts as a "moderate" level of activity). After about two weeks you might want to throw high-carb cheat days in once every week or two weeks, depending on how your weight loss is going. This is a rudimentary form of carb-cycling and can actually help your fat loss, as well as easing psychological pressure! I asked a question about cheat days in this forum a few days ago, other Crossfitters said it could be quite effective.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Alex Rosch

Profile:

umm...Susie? I was not hungry getting on my computer...and now my mouth is watering!
You can totally zone kids...when I cook/make food, it's roughly zone...
As I CF hard, and have a skinny 3year old and nursing wife a little extra fat finds it's way into the mix...my wife is still losing baby weight and has yet to take a big sip of the CF Kool-aid.
Being vegetarian, my choices can be limited, but we're willing to try new food to keep it interesting.
Generally speaking, the less you cook something the better it is for you...of course twinkies don't count (shucks).
I've read that if you're hungry, it's a lack of protein (on this very board). Drink tons of water...I find it dries me out!
The 'crappy' could be too much carbs...make sure they're all (mostly) low glycemic load (veggies)...again upping the protein will force out the carbs %-wise...
good luck...and get some sleep!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Julie, I will give ya all the encouragement you can get. I am a 45yo Mom of 4 with a new grandkid! See my avatar!!

The kids will do fine; just don't preach diet! It's all about making good food choices and enhancing/optimizing their nutrition!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Julie--

Could you be tired simply from the demands of the workouts? They're intense and if you don't scale them back, might you be ground down a bit? You're a world-class athlete, and with that background, you may be unwilling to gentle your way into the training. Nonetheless, scaling back on volume or intensity or taking an extra rest day every now and then while you adapt to the regimen might make things work better in the long run.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
Adam Levenson

Profile:

Quote:
I did get Nicole's article, but it is hard to compare my 36 year old mother of 4 situation to hers (although I don't know her story).
I just had to reply to this, because it seems a like a little bit of self sabotage. To quote the main page:

The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind. Our terrorist hunters, skiers, mountain bike riders and housewives have found their best fitness from the same regimen.

Unless you are not human, you are completely comparable to her in everyway. Your ultimate goals maybe different, but the advice and tools to get to there is the same. Keep the faith chase performance. If you continue to feel bad on your current eatting protocal, then keep a food log and ensure you have 100%. Post it here for more specific advice and keep fine tuning your diet to match again your goals.