CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #1
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
What are good sources of (paleo friendly) fiber?

Using Fitday for the last four weeks has told me a lot about the shortfalls of my eating patterns. Some of which I suspected, but a couple of things that have surprised me.

One example is that I am barely making my daily amount of fiber. In fact, over the last seven days, I'm short by about 20% of my RD intake. Despite the fact that my carbs are overwhelmingly fruit and veg.

This has got me wondering. What is a good source of daily fiber, without resorting to half a cup of oats or muesli. Any suggestions?

As an aside, another thing I've learned is that only 20% of my calories comes from protein, which having regard to my penchant for slabs of kangaroo and scotch fillet is quite staggering. But at least I know how to fix that...
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: What are good sources of (paleo friendly) fiber?

Fitday shed some light on my diet as well over the last few weeks. Its amazing what the naked eye and covered up brain can sometimes overlook.

Any hoot, fruits and diets should easily account for the majority of your daily fiber allowance. Possible most of the fruits and veggies you are eating are at the low end of the fiber chart.

If you can write a list or post the link to your diet journal showing the kinds of fruits and veggies you regularly eat.

And believe it or not, but I've found raw cocoa powder to be a great source of fiber in my diet along with an ample supply of greens and little fruit (mainly apples as they are currently in season).

I usually make chocolate balls for extra fat blocks with the cocoa powder (fiber) and green pasture coconut butter (loaded with omega-3'), some almond meal and a drop or two of stevia. Makes for a great snack too!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

I've added a couple of tablespoons of Psyllium Husks to my diet as my carb intake is some what low, seems to work pretty good in keeping everything moving along

Steve, like the suggestion on the cocoa powder, will try your fat balls as a snack. Breakdown looks ok for the powder:

Amount Per 1 tablespoon
Calories 12.37
Calories from Fat 6.66

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0.74g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.436g 2%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0238g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.247g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 1.13mg 0%
Potassium 82.3mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 2.93g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1.79g 7%
Protein 1.06g
Old 10-17-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Jay,
The recipe for the Chocolate Balls can be found in the March 07 Edition of the Performance Menu (the one covering IF). I just did away with the dates and replaced the agava nectar with a drop or two of stevia. They're delicious.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Jay,
The recipe for the Chocolate Balls can be found in the March 07 Edition of the Performance Menu (the one covering IF). I just did away with the dates and replaced the agava nectar with a drop or two of stevia. They're delicious.
Yep, now I remember seeing it. My problem is that if I make a batch of these little fat bombs, and there just sitting in the refrig looking at me every time I open the door, well, you get the idea.

I always buy 3-5 bags of 3lb walnuts and have to watch that I just always grab a few on every door opening, since the bag is open and in plan site. My issue and one way I deal with it is not to keep to many yummy things in refrig. Snacking on some frozen blue berries takes the edge off, but when I was keeping 2-5 jars of Almond butter around, boy was it toooo easy to start taking out a teaspoon here, teaspoon there, next thing I know, Fitday is telling me that I consumed 500 cals of Almond Butter, WHICH isn't necessarily bad, just have to watch.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

I actually bought the raw cocoa powder and raw cacoa chunks from:
www.naturalzing.com
w/f/s
Oh and in addition, the jumbo pecans!

Great stuff and well worth the investment.

Was curious why noone ever talks about pecans, is the fat ratio not good? personally they are much more appealing than walnuts!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
Richard Hayden

Profile:

Canned Pumpkin = 5g fiber per 1/2 cup. I eat Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin right out of the can, quite satisfying.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:

More important than the RDA for fiber is how are things moving? If everything is A-OK on the backside, I'd say not to be concerned. If you need more fiber, eat greens....mostly fiber and water, very few carbs.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Eva Claire Synkowski

Profile:

i finally picked up some nutiva chocolate hemp protein.... ive seen dr g recommend it as a paleo protein source before. its pretty high in fiber, too. 12g fiber per 4 tbsp (~80 cal, 7 g protein per serving, i think). i mix it with coconut milk, and sometimes almonds, for a yogurt-cereal-like meal. i think its just delicious!

you can buy it from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000P3J...8QKPN1AZERGY02

(link wfs)

although i pick mine up at whole foods.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Sean Hogue

Profile:

Kiwi fruits!
2 have more fibre than a big bowl of all bran
Delicious to boot!
S.