CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-01-2003, 02:21 AM   #1
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Hey Coach,
In your newsletter (excellent, btw), you asked for a few, so here is a good one: http://www.girevikmagazine.com/seven/pullups.htm
This one, by John Alstadt, is excellent and part II should be coming out soon with the next issue.
Also, there are several articles over at Dragon Door which cover mainly working up to a one-arm pullup. There are actually several people over there that can do them. One guy, Brad Johnson (also writes for Girevik), can do a ONE FINGER PULLUP. He can also do a pinch-grip rafter chin-up with 75lbs extra. He's a former gymnast, surprise!, surprise!
Also, Brad Johnson contributed a transcript of a conversation he had with Jasper Benincasa, considered to be the greatest chinner of all time. That's also in the pipeline for the next issue.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:55 AM   #2
Geoff Sample

Profile:

Two decent programs for increasing your pullup numbers if you need a daily program are the Recon Ron program which uses a gentle increase in volume over a fairly long time, and the Armstrong Program which uses 5 programmed workouts per week.

The Armstrong link is frequently down, but this has more to do with the site hosting than anything else, but the Recon Ron program seems to work okay. I can describe these programs if you want - they are not magic, but some people really want some kind of structure if they are going to make a daily committment and really make progress from 3-4 pullups up to the 20-30 range. I've used them both at different times (in between I focused on weighted chins), and for me they worked well. I had a problem "greasing the groove" because I can't fit workouts in at work, so my number of sessions was severly limited.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Geoff Sample

Profile:

Here's the correct link for the Armstrong Pullup Program I posted above. Somehow in my early morning fog, I truncated the address, which is working now, by the way.