CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #11
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Offsides hints:
1. General Play: stay behind the ball
2. Tackle: come in to the ruck or maul from your own side. Enter from behind the last foot of your player. Don't come into the ruck/maul from the side.
3. Kicks: Be behind the kicker, if you're not behind the kicker when he kicks, retreat until he has run past you and put you onside.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:27 AM   #12
Catherine Imes

Profile:
Good tips Andy. Offsides happens to everyone. I was awful about coming into rucks from the side initially or trying to dive in after the other team had won a ruck and get the scrum half and the ball...You learn.

CI
Old 03-23-2006, 01:07 PM   #13
Rob Flowers

Profile:
Rugby is a very accesible sport, and almost universally you will find that teams are happy to have more players.

Your height could be a considerable advantage at the 6, 7 or 8 positions (all scrummies) assuming your rucking, mauling and tackling come along well. If you are a fast or rangy player, that size could be good for a first inside back because you will see more contact there than the ouside backs, wings of fullback.

We did a lot of crossfit type work when I played because we could workout right there on the pitch. Hill running, sprints and shuttle runs will help you quite a bit. Like soccer, rugby requires that you constatnly run during a match.

In addition to your strength, pay a lot of attention to your flexibility. I consider rugby a much safer sport than football (american) because you don't have the body armor gladiatory mentality, but you can still tear-up knees, ankles and shoulders if you don't stay strong and flexible.

Also - learn the words to the songs quickly.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #14
Nate Tucker

Profile:
I'd second the flexability; stretching after practice is IMO just as important if not more important than stretching before practice.

Just keep working on your ball handling, it will come naturally: knowing how to pass, which foot to step off of when you pass, awareness of what is going on around you and (most importantly) knowing where to be, and when you need to be there.

No matter what, your first few games are going to look and feel like complete chaos. Eventually things will make sense, a little at a time.

just go out and have fun. And remember, you are better off making a mistake at 110% than you are doing the right thing half arsed. Eventually the skills will come and you need the intensity to come with it.

I think I started rambling back there. Hope it helps though. . . .
Old 03-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
Mark Madonna

Profile:
Watch some rugby games, I know it is hard to find games on television, but sometimes Fox Soccer Channel will have games on, so you could tape or TiVo them. Also, for me it took 4 - 6 games of playing before I knew the rules. If you can find game films, watch what player numbers 4-8 do after the set pieces to help with strategy and what you are supposed to do in open play so you don't waste energy. My favorite exercises to train my body for rugby are x-burpees for time, x- rounds of x-wall-ball and x-pullups for time, and deadlift for grip and overall strength