CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Mike Minium

Profile:
Seems to be a BIG story all of a sudden. It's all over the news wires.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...epy_Teens.html

Mike

Old 03-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Good thread Mike. My kids must be in that 20% group. They get between 8 to 9 hours of sleep on average. Now on the other hand, I and my wife are lucky if we get as much as 6 hours on any given basis.
Let’s face it,….after the kids go to bed is when parents can get some real work done. They should do a study on sleep deprived parents.:happy:
Old 03-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
I just thought of something else. One of my daughters told me of a kid who is always dozing off in class. When the teacher asked why, the student said that he stays up until about 2m every night playing Halo 2 and Ghost Soldiers on his Playstation. Now there is a case for parents being dragged out and beaten in the streets.:lol:
If the kid fails high school, those are the type of parents that will be absolutely clueless and then turn around and want to blame and sue the school system.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Chris Jordan

Profile:
I'm proud of that 20%. I didn't expect it to be that high.

Sleep deprived parents? Yeah. Tuck the kids in at 8 (or a little after), do some housework, do my workout, make time to just talk with the wife and consequently get to bed late so I can get up at 5:30 to do it all again. As an added bonus the newborn is confused about what day and night are for.

What has caused us as a society to be so busy all of the time? GO! GO! GO! then don't sleep well.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
No electronics in the bedroom and TVs shut off at an appropriate time would go a long way towards beginning to fix this problem...
Old 03-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Mike Minium

Profile:
Shutting off the computer at an appropriate time helps, too. Although I realize it's hard not to check in with CF.com!

Mike

Old 03-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Kids nowadays (including myself often, but not so much since a year or two ago thanks to my parents) have a serious problem with time-management, they decide to put off their hw for the day and do other things such as watch tv or go online or play video games and then do their hw after dinner, or just as bad, do their hw while watching tv, or being online, or talking/being with friends.

I use to live in D.C. and I had many friends who were in the public schools, private schools, and many who were homeshooled. Almost every one of them (with the exception of most of the homeschoolers) complained of so much work to do and of always being so tired, these were also the kids who were the ones always hanging out with friends, being online, or watching tv. The ones who never ever complained of sleep deprivation were the ones who accepted invitations to hang out with friends only 50% or less of the time. These were also the kids who were getting great grades, were noticably smart, and were getting accepted into major universities.

But, I have to say, some of the private schools are almost inhumanely tough. One of them, which my sisters boyfriend attends, requires students in 7th grade to learn Latin and remember it, and have students start learning algebra in 7th or 8th grade and end up with trig and calc being the lowest math's they are allowed to graduate with, often they must learn more advanced math than that to graduate. And the workload for these courses are enormous, so some kids end up having to literally spend every waking moment doing homework to keep up with it. But, still the percentage of the kids who have a good reason for not getting enough sleep is very small, not even a quarter of 80%.

So, with the exception of those who really are in hard schools, the only reason these kids aren't getting enough sleep is because of parents who aren't strict enough, and kids who are selfish/lazy and don't have good time-management skills.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Ross Hunt

Profile:
:biggrin: This is NEWS? :lol: