CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
Chris Jordan

Profile:
So my son is 5. He wants to be a "real" army man. We got him some BDU's and a boonie hat. I told him Army men run and do lots of push-ups. He runs all over the place and his push-ups are getting considerably better. In short, we're having a ball.

I don't know beans about the military. He would love to see a base and meet some soldiers and ...I dunno...do army stuff. Is that even possible? I live near Scott AFB. Do I just call them up and ask if they give tours or have an open house or something? He's not interested in seeing an air show. He wants to see a tank. He wants to see "real" army men working.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Chris,
My only experience is with the Navy and Marines, but I suspect it is the same. Find the main number for the base. It may be under Front gate, OOD, or Base HQ. They ought to be able to tell you about tours. If worse comes to worse drive up to the front gate and ask at the gaurd shack. The Navy used to give tours of ships and you can go to the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola FL. You could watch the recruits march on the grinder on Sundays at the Marine Recruit Depot in San Diego. Just sugestions if you go on vacation. Then again 9-11 could have shot that all down the toilet.

Tell your son he wants to be a Marine. They have cooler uniforms.:wink:

Good Luck,

Joe
Old 02-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
Rick Burgess

Profile:
Chris,
Look up Ft Leonard Wood and follow Joseph's advice. FLW does all the military engineer training for the Army -- see if there is a museum to visit or tours you could go on. You and your son would learn something. You never know where that stuff will end up. It could be a passing phase or the shape of things to come. I was fascinated by military stuff as a kid and ended up in the Navy. Now I'm coming up on 20 years in and happy I found something I love.