CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-02-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
When walking the 'beat' I experience muscular pain in the hip area. I think it is the tensor fasciae latae and also the glute medius. The pain comes on after about 1 - 2 hours of walking around and the next day feels a bit like DOMS. My rig (accoutrement belt) weighs in at around 6kg and is obviously the cause of the problem as I don't get the pain walking without it. My question is, what can I do, physically, to prevent it? I have reduced the weight of my rig as much as possible. Cant get rid of anything else without it being a safety issue. I have on there my Glock, spare mag, handcuffs, ASP baton, radio and OC spray. Taser will also be added soon.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
Paul Symes

Profile:
Jason

Is the weight on the belt mostly at the front?

Is there more weight on one side than the other - like more on the left than the right?

Are you squatting and deadlifting, do you have a strong posterior chain?

Paul

(Message edited by symzie on January 02, 2007)
Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 AM   #3
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Paul,

There is no weight on the rear. I keep bits and pieces away from there so that if I end up on my back for whatever reason, I don't do a nasty back injury. It's all at the sides and towards the front. I would say there is more weight on the right as that is where my force options eg, firearm, baton and OC are, although now I think about it, there is a bit of weight on the left in the radio, handcuffs and spare mag, but I'd have to say, probably a bit more on the right.

As far as having a strong posterior chain goes, I'd say I'm about average for a CrossFitter, that is; 1.5 x BW squat (130kgs 5RM) and just under 2 x BW deadlift.(160kgs 5RM) BW is 85kgs
Old 01-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Jason:

I hope it ain't so but it could be hip arthritis and you should get a good orthopedist to rule it out with an xray. Two things stick out: the pain comes on with use and the pain lingers for a day or so. This is consistent with early stages of arthritis. Of course, it's consistent with other things too so don't worry too much yet.

Arthritis, unfortunately, is not only a disease of the old. For a variety of reasons, including genetic factors, injury, etc., some people get it young. It is pretty rare in the 20s but 30s and increasingly 40s are not unusual.

I have two hip resurfacings as a result of congenital hip impingement leading to severe arthritis.

The sooner you can detect it the more options you have so I strongly encourage you to at least rule it out.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Paul Symes

Profile:
An osteopath would also be able to check that your hip is aligned; the symptoms of a misaligned pelvis would also match what you're experiencing - either because it's misaligned or the uneven weight of the belt could be mimicking it being misaligned.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Thanks for the replies gents.

My hips have been checked out and no structural problems there (I probably should have mentioned that earlier :doh:).

I'm guessing its the muscles being unusually overloaded due to the pelvis being misaligned from the weight of the belt.

I just need to know now how to alleviate the problem. I figure it would be along the lines of strengthening and stretching, but exactly how is what I'm unsure of.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
Jason, you should check out foam rollers for soft tissue mobilization (you can run a search, rollers have been discussed a lot). The quads, TFL and ITB are all prime areas to have some serious restrictions. Rolling can be unbelievably painful and rewarding.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
Brandon David Vafiades

Profile:
Just bought a pair of LE suspenders from ORCA International. They work great and transfer weight from hips to shoulders. If dept allows them I would highly recommend them.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
Randy Roper

Profile:
Jacob, a number of officers on our department wear suspenders and claim they help. You might also check out www.tacticaldesignlabs.com (family/work safe). A former cop makes duty gear specifically with lumbar support - adjustable gel pads that are worn under your belt. They work great as well.
stay safe
Randy