CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

I am trying to come up with more upper body exercises I can do with a slightly bum shoulder.
I can do pushup plank holds, farmers walks, deadlifts, and a couple of chin ups. Do you guys think KB/DB swings might be safe to try? Thanks in advance.
Kevin
Old 09-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
Jason Erickson

Profile:
That's a "loaded" question, Kevin. What's wrong with it? Have you had it evaluated by a health pro?

Until you can say with certainly what the problem is, it would be completely irresponsible for anyone here to recommend that you attach a weight to that arm and swing it. At most, I think you should back off the strength training and focus on regaining pain-free ROM in that shoulder.

If you lose a little of your max strength, don't sweat it. Rehab now (prior to making it worse) is far more important than preserving something only to suffer catastrophic failure later.

Get it checked out and follow professional advice.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
Tim Boyd

Profile:
hello all, I would like to thank those of you that helped me with the back pain advice. I'm pleased to say that my back pain is gone and I'm back on track. However, my father, who is a life long weight lifter, is having horrible shoulder pain and can't work out traditionally anymore. I'm trying to get him interested in crossfit and he is interested but I'm having a little trouble coming up with a routine for him that doesn't involve straining his shoulder too much. He can't hang to do a pull-up and cannot fully extend. what can he do?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Tim -

I'm glad to hear your back issues are doing better! That's great!

Your dad needs to start by regaining a pain-free full ROM before he starts adding resistance exercises. Once he has that ROM, he'll be able to start lighter versions of Crossfit and work up to the full versions.

It would be wise for him to see a health pro to have it evaluated. If his situation is like what I had, a good massage therapist with some mobility work may be sufficient. Again, only a health pro can make a diagnosis.

For mobility work, I recommend the "Warrior Wellness" program from RMAX. It's the main reason I was able to stop seeing my chiro and massage therapist. He can continue using it as a daily practice to keep loose and pain-free once he's begun Crossfit workouts later.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
Tim Boyd

Profile:
Jason -

Thanks for the advice. He's a prideful man but I think if I go with him to get his shoulder evaluated, he might be more willing to go. Career military guy and stubborn as all get out. I took him to my crossfit gym that I built in a warehouse. I work in law enforcement and there are 6-8 regulars that all CF together over our lunch hour. Took my dad there to get him interested but the shoulder thing was killing him. Will keep trying.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Ask your dad if it's more "manly" to be (A) injured and unable to train, or to (B) put up with rehab first so he can train hard later.

If he answers B, he'll get with the program.