CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Anyone care to fess up to what or which you use, if you use one? I'm doing the Starting Strength program and am getting some tightness in the lower back so I need to find a good quality lifting belt.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
John Velandra

Profile:
Frank,
I used to use a seude PL belt - two prong and thick... I rarely used it except for HEAVY squats or deads. As I got stronger and built mu=ore muscular endurance to loads, I used it less and less and now it isn't even part of my lifting bag (I do miss "that" for sentimental reasons).
Get as strong as possible and learn to get comfortable lifting Raw. It'll benefit you more that way (IMHO).

Proficiency is perfomance upon demand.... with that, a belt isn't always available!:showoff:
Old 12-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
Dan Ensing

Profile:
I used to use an Inzer belt (2 prong, thick suede), but sold it when I got out of powerlifting. I'll be honest, once I dropped the support gear (gloves, wraps, belts) everything became stronger and more comfortable.

Dan
Old 12-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Instead of a belt, you might want to give the Tommy Kono waistband a try:

http://www.cbass.com/Equipment.htm

(worksafe) Scroll down below the knee bands.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Roger Smith

Profile:
I very rarely use them, but I do have two Valeo belts. One is the powerlifting one. They were fine. I wouldn't recommend using them very much, however.

I do have and use the Tommy Kono Waistband, nearly every workout. It does have some shortcomings, but it is the best of that kind of device I have found. The neoprene is MUCH thicker than the thickest department store kind I have found. Unfortunately, like the department store brands, it relies one the velco sticking to the nylon that is on the neoprene. This is a flaw as thee nylon looses it's ability to allow the velcrow to stick fairly quickly. I try to hold it with one hand while I quickly roll a tight fitting shirt over it for no. I plan to get the other part of velcrow(non-hook) sewed on at some point. But for the $$ it would be nice if they would have relized that would happen....
Old 12-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna go ahead and get a belt despite the thoughts expressed here. Why? My back never hurt when lifting years ago and I used a belt then, unlike now. I've never noticed any shortcomings in my physical abilities as result I might add. How could anyone be adverse to using something that will keep them from injury? What are you going to be doing in everyday life that a belt might prevent you from doing in an exemplary way?

(Message edited by fmn on December 20, 2006)
Old 12-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Roger Smith

Profile:
"What are you going to be doing in everyday life that a belt might prevent you from doing in an exemplary way?"

Nothing, however, in my daily life I have pretty much no need for working out period. My functional needs consist of needing to walk 1/4 block to the bus, and once a week carry a 40 pound (lowered from 60 due to complains the company supplying the material received) about 5 feet. I think the lack of need is the reason for all the fat people causing eye damage these days. Anyway, as is often the case, I'm way off the subject of the post LOL... So, obviously I workout for different reasons. If I though a belt would help, I'd wear one (and may when I do heavier squatting soon). ...
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Frank,
I've got to ask does your back hurt while lifting or after?

Old 12-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Frank,
A belt may alleviate your back pain, but that's like putting a band-aid on a gushing wound. Sure, it'll help but it doesn't address the problem. Perhaps additional back extentions and situps, along with lighter weight in exercises that activate the back area, might help. Also, stretching the hamstrings might help. I know how you feel, I've been there. I used to get spasms in my lower back that would leave me laid up for a day or two. I lowered the weight, did more core work, and now specifically stretch the back of my legs. I haven't had spasms in over a year. I've come back stronger and able to lift heavier and longer than before. Just my humble opinion.

Dan

Old 12-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
Frank M Needham

Profile:
er, let me clarify...I'm not in pain, only experiencing a tightness that may be a precursor to a problem developing. It only happens when lifting, not after. Therefore, I will start wearing a belt. Then, after a while, I may stop wearing one if the problem desists.

Anyway, <growls> back to the topic: Anybody else using belts? What kind please?