CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
14 Days Skiing, no WODs - How much will I loose?

One of my biggest motivations in doing Crossfit (besides Crossfit itself and the cool people I get to do it with at CF Zürich!) is to develop my strength, balance and general sense of indestructibility for downhill skiing.

Well, it's that time of year, and I'll spend the 14 days in the Swiss alps - well make that, 13. Day one is already gone ... (sniff!)

The one thing I'm worrying about: All in all, I'll be missing 16 days of mainpage WODs. Of course, no: I won't spend the two weeks sprawled in a lawn chair eating potato chips - but there's be no thrusters, no cleans, no GHD situps, no presses - and no bleeding hands, no waking up wondering what kind of DOMS I get today. (Come to think of it, this isn't all bad!!) ;-)

However, I'm a little worried about getting back to CF in 2 weeks, 2 days and having lost a lot of the gains I've made over the past three or four months. And of getting the kind of DOMS that make me feel like walking death for four or five days.

How much am I going to lose during a 2 week layoff from CF?

Mike

P.S. I am thinking that getting in 30 pullups, 40 pushups, 50 situps and 60 squats each day might help a little. Easier said than done, though, after a full day skiing ...
Old 02-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:
Re: 14 Days Skiing, no WODs - How much will I loose?

You'll be fine. Just ski.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

I'd be more concerned with how much skiing enjoyment you'll miss out on by worrying about your CF losses. Enjoy the skiing.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Marcus Allen

Profile:

I vote you take another rotation in the penalty box just for suggesting this.

oh yeah- lose not loose

Last edited by Marcus Allen : 02-13-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Mike Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
oh yeah- lose not loose
Ouch!! - now that's embarrassing! Worst thing is, I can't seem to edit the post.

Anyway, I dare say I'll *loose* a fair amount of snow on the mountain - but not much sympathy for my plight from you people! ;-)
Old 02-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Marcus Allen

Profile:

No,no I feel horrible.

Tell you what...come on out to soggy southern Oregon. You can work out 6 days a week at the local box and I'll take all your ski passes and head to the Alps for 2 weeks.

Sound good?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Ya that's nothing to worry about. You may actually came back to better times and weights because of the time off and because you're still being really active. I'm currently at Revelstoke in the Canadian rockies (highest vertical descent in North America) doing some snowboarding and taking a week break from CF. Have fun, always wanted to board in the Alps
Old 02-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

I just got back from 5 days skiing at Mammoth. Amazingly, I put on a couple pounds of fat. Ugh!

My downfall was eating a lot of high calorie stuff that I don't usually eat at home....french toast with loads of syrup every morning, energy bars for snacks, potato chips and cookies every day with lunch, pastas, dessert every night.

Oh well. You have to let go sometimes!

Ski, eat, have fun, then get back to "work" when you get home.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Who cares? Just make some effort to maintain proper diet, its 90% of everything anyway.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Mike Gray

Profile:

Actually, that *is* one of the tricky parts. Being away from home, it's not always easy to stick to one's normal diet - and it's easy to slip into an entirely different sort of diet! We're staying at my mother-in-law's in Interlaken: she doesn't cook exactly the way I would, but it's sane and nutritious enough. But when you're out during the day and eating whatever you can pick up cheap at the resort the whole nutrition thing can fly out the window! (Snarfed five cookies on the way back home today ... )

One thing I do that seem to help a little: When I go to get our afternoon snack (for the train ride home after skiing all day) I buy a piece of fruit to be eaten before any of the cheat stuff. I think I'll add a package of cashews tomorrow.

One weird thing: most people I know talk about how they get sore and exhausted during the first few days of a skiing vacation. In my case it's just this amazing feeling of *not* being sore and feeling completely fresh. I mean, all I'm doing is skiing 5-6 hours per day ... Not a burpee in sight ...