CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:
Zone diet question

Ok I'm sorry I know this has prob been asked but couldn't find it. My wife is looking at doing the zone diet to lose weight. I was figuring up how many blocks she needs. At her weight it said 11 daily blocks of each. Thus a 3-3-1-3-1 meal snack layout. Is that set for losing weight or do we need to set that down some to lose weight?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Casey Dietz

Profile:
Re: Zone diet question

The don't let the title "Zone Diet" fool you. It's a diet yes, in a sense of a method of eating, not necessarily meant to be a caloric deficiet by nature. That 13 blocks is for maintaining, not losing weight. But, you definitely have freedom to modify.

To answer your question... I would see how 13 blocks does her. Then use those block numbers and maybe subtract 1 block of carbs out of every 3 block meal. So, she'd be eating 3P 3F 2C for her Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner with the same 1 block snack unaffected.

That's my opinion. I'm no pro at the Zone, but I saw your question went unanswered, so just thought I'd attempt to help.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

Thanks for replying that actually helped me a lot. She decided to try a diet focused on weight loss but I think we may try zone once she gets down to where she wants
Old 02-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Phillip, the Zone diet focuses on maintaining macro-nutrients in sufficient quantities to support one's lean body mass (muscle+bones+organs, not fat). It is the only diet I know of that specifically takes into account one's body composition, body weight, and activity level, and insulin response to give an individualized prescription for food. I have not seen a faster way to lose weight in a healthy way.

The way it works is by only feeding one's lean body mass. Fat needs no nutrients and will begin to melt away quickly if you apply the Zone diet correctly. I highly recommend you read CrossFit Journal 21 and, more importantly, one Dr. Sears basic books on the Zone. His website is also a valuable resource (including a body fat calculator). The books contain specific advice about how to tell if a food was proportioned correctly for one's body and how to know when to adjust the amount of protein/carbs/fats based on how one feels. The Zone prescription is merely a starting point and the books provide the method to adjust it to one's own body.

My only "beef" with the Zone diet is that it focuses mainly on eating the right quantity of food, rather than high quality food. If your wife wants to make the ultimate plunge, I recommend eating Paleo foods in Zone portions. It's pretty simple: "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. [<--Paleo] Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. [<--Zone]