CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: Waxy Maize

Melatonin is a good quick fix if you are having trouble with your regular sleep cycle. It's especially helpful when adjusting to other time zones or if you have to change your sleep schedule do to changes in your daily routine (ie: switching from a day shift to a night shift at work).

One drawback of melatonin is that it is habit forming. Melatonin is the hormone that controls your sleep cycle. Supplementing melatonin is basically like hitting the reset button on your own melatonin cycle. The problem is that continuous supplementation will result in your body lowering it's own natural production of the hormone.

If you are having trouble sleeping, it's usually an indication of elevated cortisol levels. This can be brought on by fatigue, poor diet and even lack of sleep itself. A quick dietary fix is to eat some extra carbs in your last meal of the day, since insulin suppresses cortisol production. If this doesn't work, look at your recovery as a whole. Something as simple as taking a week off from exercise, or just lowering your volume a little, could be all you need. Outside stressors could also be the culprit (ie: money or personal issues).
Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

I took melatonin for two nights in a row, and on the second night I woke up after 6 hours and couldn't fall back asleep. That almost never happens when I'm not taking melatonin. Anyone know what the issue is?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Thanks for the replies fellas. Lots to think about...
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
JD Hart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
Anybody tried melatonin? If so, good results?

Alternatively, anybody got any tips for getting a good night's sleep, beyond the usual advice of dark, cool room, relaxing before bed?

It's 5:20am here, I've been awake since 3:40am. This is becoming more regular for me, maybe 2-3 times a week and it's really affecting me in terms of performance and motivation, not to mention work. I'm concerned that it's now going to be seriously sabotaging my training.

Any advice gratefully appreciated
I like to take melatonin with Valerian root before bed. It works well and you don't get that hangover feeling you get with diphenhydramine.

Lack of sleep from what I understand severely increasing your cortisol levels and you really need a solid night's rest for recovery. I'll have to read up more though so this isn't a broscience post