CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber

Go for it. Self-experimenting is good. You shouldn't be hungry all the time though. So keep eating, maybe you need more calories overall.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
not 130, i hadn't weighed myself in awhile when i posted that few days ago. apparently I'm 142~. anyway i have a question as i want to experiment with the vlc a bit. I cut my carbs down to 30ish. and upped my calories to about 2600 a day and started eating fattier meats, butter, and evoo. the strange part is though that I'm always hungry now. ill literarily eat a meal and an hour later feel starved.
for example i had a pound of pork roast for dinner with butter, and evoo on it plus a mixed green salad and right after i was hungry again.

can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm not sure if i need to eat more or if my body just needs to adjust for awhile first. and FWIW I'm sticking to eating like this for 30 days as an experiment after reading mat lalondes ''crossfit on a low carb diet'' so before anyone tells me not to its already decided and help/advice would be appreciated.
There's nothing strange about a grown man being hungry when he's strength training and only eating 2600 calories a day.

If you're trying to gain weight, eat like it.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
There's nothing strange about a grown man being hungry when he's strength training and only eating 2600 calories a day.

If you're trying to gain weight, eat like it.
I guess you're right, I'll up them a bit and see. I just though it was weird that I'd be hungry on 2600, meanwhile I'd be full on 2100 with carbs
Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Why only "a bit"? There's 2600 calories in a gallon of whole milk alone, which was what I was drinking in addition to eating about 3000 more calories a day when I decided I was tired of being 170lbs a few years ago. Even then it took me almost two months to gain 30lbs.

Give this a look (WFS aside from some language) for when you're ready to adjust things after this 30 day experiment is over with.

Going low carb while training intensely is a good way to jack up your metabolism and other systems. I've had a few phone consultations with a naturopathic doctor after doing an adrenal stress index test, and he said about 90% of his patients recently have been CFers who have developed difficulties regulating blood sugar and insulin levels from undereating while on VLC diets. It may work for some people, but if you're feeling like crap while doing it that's a pretty clear sign something is wrong.

Last edited by Eric Montgomery : 01-02-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I must confess that while I'm actually one of those who defends VLC for certain people, certain situations and certain goals, I'm a little skeptical of a male 5'9" 140# trying it out.

Just out of curiosity: are you doing this little experiment to get TeH AbZZ?

Not gonna try to talk you out of it, finish your 30 days... but like I said, "feeling hungry all the time" is the exact opposite of what I feel when I do VLC (and from what I've read, the same for most people applies). Be VERY generous with your fat servings.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I must confess that while I'm actually one of those who defends VLC for certain people, certain situations and certain goals, I'm a little skeptical of a male 5'9" 140# trying it out.

Just out of curiosity: are you doing this little experiment to get TeH AbZZ?

Not gonna try to talk you out of it, finish your 30 days... but like I said, "feeling hungry all the time" is the exact opposite of what I feel when I do VLC (and from what I've read, the same for most people applies). Be VERY generous with your fat servings.
deffinetley not doing it to make my abs better, i have a pretty defined 8 pack FWIW. My reasoning is based on an article written by mat alone where he followed main site CF on VLC and improved performance/boosted testosterone.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #27
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
deffinetley not doing it to make my abs better, i have a pretty defined 8 pack FWIW. My reasoning is based on an article written by mat alone where he followed main site CF on VLC and improved performance/boosted testosterone.
All rightie then, please be sure to report when you're done, I'm interested in your results.