CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
John Hoffner

Profile:
Apparently the Marine Corps has seen the error of standard concepts of military physical training. I saw this Marine wide Administrative Message and I just wanted to toss this into the forum to get some visibility to any US Marines who do CrossFit and also invite comments on how other military units were so successful (Canada) at implementing CrossFit as their program of choice.

This could lead to some phenomenal things in my humble opinion. I've been doing CF for a little over a year now and think it would be great if the whole USMC got on board. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/37f49138fc3d9c00852569b9000af6b7/ 22f50f141ef52ef58525723d005e98fa?OpenDocument
Old 12-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
lol, Marines yell even when they type...
Old 12-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
Great things take a while to take hold. Especially in traditional institutions like my beloved Corps. Even when I was in (1990-1995) we did plenty of Metcon workouts and running around with heavy things. I think this functional training that crossfit is second to none, not just because it is crossfit, because it works and it is such a simple concept. Many times all you need is the ground to kick your . We leathernecks know how much gravity alone can teach and motivate. I wish I would have seen the light about functional exercise along time ago. Funny thing is we (Marines) have been doing it for over 231 years. I agree this could lead to some phenomenal things, especially with all the workout combinations. It is endless. I'm sure my drill instructors would have loved crossfit.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Awesome, simply awesome...

I'm looking forward to reading that download, it's available Dec 18th.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
Carla Freund McDonald

Profile:
Thanks a lot for posting, John. I went to OCS in 98, then to TBS in 02 after three years of law school. I loved the PT at OCS and TBS, and like you said, Chris, "Many times all you need is the ground to kick your •••." I thought it at least measured our ability to execute obstacles with more than just our bodyweight...and of course, the o-courses are always fun. However, I was disappointed that the same types of courses weren't available whenever we wanted when we hit the fleet. Instead, we run that PFT which doesn't measure much.

Case-in-point, at TBS, I roomed with a Marine who was consistently a 300 PFT'er; however, during the week of "The War" at TBS, this Marine fell out on a hump out to the LZ because of the inability to hump a heavy pack.

I am glad the headshed sees the problem with the current state of affairs in the PT program. The intensity level and manner of training for the fleet as a whole needs to change so that all Marines, regardless of MOS, are strong, powerful, flexible, etc... so we are more prepared when it matters, not just on paper.

As an aside, I got out of the Corps in Dec of 05. Best to all that are still in workin' hard. There are lots of Marines implementing CF into their training now...on both coasts, INCONUS and OUT.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Pierre Auge

Profile:
FITNESS IS A CONGLOMERATION OF PHYSICAL SKILLS THAT INCLUDES: ENDURANCE; STAMINA; STRENGTH; FLEXIBILITY; POWER; SPEED; COORDINATION; AGILITY; BALANCE; AND ACCURACY.

Dynamax and CrossFit are currently the only organisations to my knowledge that use this exact definition in this exact listing and order..

Mike ODonnell
I know you are going to read this and say "CrossFit didn't invent functional fitness! It's been around for decades and they just added to the pot of knowledge and application.."

You're right but it has been the greatest influence in its regards on a global scale, and it continues to do so!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #7
Scott Arnold

Profile:
Just wondering if anybody noticed the announcement of the USMC concept for functional fitness by the deputy commandant for combat development and integration. MARADMIN 579/06 signed 07DEC06. Here's the link: http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/37f49138fc3d9c00852569b9000af6b7/ 22f50f141ef52ef58525723d005e98fa?OpenDocument ...designed to "provoke debate". :showoff:
Old 12-13-2006, 12:32 AM   #8
Scott Arnold

Profile:
I checked the link to the full document noted in the message. The Marine Corps Warfighting Lab will post "A Concept of Functional Fitness" no later than 18 Dec: https://www.mcwl.usmc.mil/concepts/home.cfm
Old 12-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Previously posted here:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/33813.html
So merging threads...
Old 12-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
James Conklin

Profile:
The Marine Corps Warfighting Lab website is having some issues, so I asked the point of contact for a copy of the concept.

Here it is.