CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Juan Reyes

Profile:
How do you manage Crossfit in your life?

I've just been bitten by the Crossfit bug. I love how it changes everyday, you work in a team environment, you have a personal trainer to look at your form and to guide you to being stronger and more fit each time you show up at Crossfit. I'm a student so for my local Crossfit Gym its $85 a month. That's $1,020 a year. So not sure if joining is worth it. I'm still contemplating it. I work full time and go to school full time. So I will have to wake up early in the morning. They open at 5:30 in the morning and I have to be at my job at 8 in the morning. I will be busy all day. I do like being busy though. The Crossfit gym by my house is 10 a minute drive one way.

So not sure really. That's why I need your advice.

By the way I am married and my wife and I just share one car for now. We plan on getting a second car in the next six months.

I talked to the Crossfit owner and he told me since I am just starting out I should come in 4 times a week.

So I am wanting to know as well how do you manage Crossift, school and a full time job?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: How do you manage Crossfit in your life?

The same way you manage anything else: prioritize.

Katherine
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Kim Thornton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
The same way you manage anything else: prioritize.

Katherine
Absolutely...the majority of people that crossfit work (sometimes multiple jobs), have families, along with a whole host of other responsibilities. If you want it and see the benefit of it in your life, you'll find a way.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Suck it up, buttercup

If I didn't CF then I'd save $200/mo in gym membership, be able to sleep in 2hrs longer every morning, and be able to ride the bus to work each day (saving $300/mo). So yeah, CF is costing me 2hrs a day and $6k a year.

But it also keeps me healthy, strong, and fit and I've met awesome friends there. What price can you put on health, being able to jump into any physical activity and not be sucking wind or getting injured, and looking good naked?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Kim Thornton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
looking good naked?
That's always a bonus
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Dave Henzel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Reyes View Post
I'm a student so for my local Crossfit Gym its $85 a month.
That's a pretty good price. I pay almost double that (with tax).

The trade offs are worth it. Eating better food and working out has a cost to it. But poor health has an even greater cost, financially and otherwise.

One thing you can look into is whether your employer offers a flexible spending account (FSA) for medical/health expenses and see if it can be used for your gym membership. This allows you to use pre-tax money for these expenses, reducing your taxable income.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Adam Molnar

Profile:

If you can hardly sqeeze out 4 wod per week at the affiliate (due to money and/or time), I would go there 3 times a week (like Mon-Wed-Fri) and do a "low budget" workout on my own on Saturday morning. Low budget means use whatever you have: barbell, dumbell, bodyweight!!!, homemade TRX, ring, tire, sledgehammer, etc.... Go somewhere you can do pushups, pull-ups, HSPU, running.... and the list goes on.

Last edited by Adam Molnar; 07-20-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Sean Dugan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Reyes View Post
I've just been bitten by the Crossfit bug. I love how it changes everyday, you work in a team environment, you have a personal trainer to look at your form and to guide you to being stronger and more fit each time you show up at Crossfit. I'm a student so for my local Crossfit Gym its $85 a month. That's $1,020 a year. So not sure if joining is worth it. I'm still contemplating it. I work full time and go to school full time. So I will have to wake up early in the morning. They open at 5:30 in the morning and I have to be at my job at 8 in the morning. I will be busy all day. I do like being busy though. The Crossfit gym by my house is 10 a minute drive one way.

So not sure really. That's why I need your advice.

By the way I am married and my wife and I just share one car for now. We plan on getting a second car in the next six months.

I talked to the Crossfit owner and he told me since I am just starting out I should come in 4 times a week.

So I am wanting to know as well how do you manage Crossift, school and a full time job?

We all have things that keep us busy, work, family, social life, working out, reading crossfit.com and ton of other things. So for $85 a month(less expensive than any other affiliate I am aware of) you get trainers to help you improve and reach your goals, you meet great supportive people, your stronger, faster, healthier, you will accomplish things you may not have thought possible. I say yes it is absolutely worth it. What else are you going to do with that time? Sleep? Watch TV?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Shawn Bellon

Profile:

I have been a world class powerlifter with competing for a long time. My wife is a competitive bodybuilder. Our training is just part of our lifestyles. I gave up alot of sleep to train early so she could have our car to train later. It does come down to balance. I won't sacrifice my relationship with God, wife or job just for training.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Steve Gifford

Profile:

I did full time work and school when I started Crossfit, and just found a way to make it work. It's worth every cent, and since being away from an affiliate and working out on my own at a gym I'm reminded daily of why Crossfit is so important and I'm counting the days till I'm back in a box working out with my brothers and sisters again.