CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Okay, so I've been really stressed out for who knows how long, and I just started taking B complex vitamins again, only this time I decided to take either liquid or sublingual for best absorption. I ended up buying Liquid Health. It says to take 1-2 oz per day and I really do have to stop myself because I want to take a lot more, the stuff is so good! So here are my list of B-complex questions:

1. Is it possible to take too much of this stuff?

2. There's no sugar in this, but there is stevia and it's pretty darn sweet. Does this count as a carb block?

3. Is there a better brand than, say, Liquid Health?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
1) Technically, yes, you can overdose on vitamins. In reality, if it's only B, you're probably ok as B-vitamins are water-soluble. The fat-soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K) are the ones that can really cause issues with ODing. Course, it sure makes urinating expensive as you're just going to give your toilet a B-vitamin shower.

2) I seem to recall Robb saying that stevia can elicit an insulin response, but since it lacks any carbs, I don't think it would qualify.

3) Got me on this one.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Thanks, Scott. I just have taken megadoses of vitamins before when I had a deficient condition, and I never overdosed on anything but I probably never got full absorption either. I'm really much more into cooking with vitamin-rich foods (rasayanas for example) than taking pills, but as far as liquid or sublingual B I think the results are amazing... Really great for stress and helping me heal a lot faster, too. I'm sleeping better, etc. I read it helps metabolism, too.

I was doing all the other things for stress (calcium, magnesium, bee pollen, spirulina, nutritional yeast, tons of nervine herbs, trace minerals, working out, meditating, spending time outside, herbal foot baths, etc.) and none of that comes even close.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I just found out that all liquid vitamins (or sublingual) anything with "natural flavors" has MSG in it--not added, but produced in the process. I want to get ahold of Standard Process Cataplex B and Cataplex G instead.