CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Andrea Young

Profile:
Fruit/juice question

I'm starting at my local affiliate next week, but had a question about fruit/juice. Maybe this should be in nutrition..but I'm brand new so..
I do yoga every morning followed by green tea. Then I like to juice two oranges, one grapefruit and a lemon and drink this with maybe 5 or 6 almonds. I dont have this everyday, but at least 4 times a week.
Is this too much fructose if I am trying to lose fat?
If it's fine, would this work ok as breakfast before CF?
Can't wait to start, but a little nervous..I was a fitness/dance major in college but have been super inactive the past few years, besides yoga, I hope I can keep up!
Thanks so much,
Andrea
Old 02-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Helen M Brennan

Profile:
Re: Fruit/juice question

gosh... that is barely enough to keep an ant going, let alone provide fuel for a CF WOD.

I alternate between
2 eggs, on a wrap with veggies

or iced tea smoothie with 2 tbsp protein powder, blueberries, blackberries strawbwerries and some cherries with some oil added

however others are far more qualified than i to make suggestions

H
Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Andrea Young

Profile:

Lol..the thing is I'll be doing CF early morning 5:30 or 6:30am and I don't want to meet pukie..also I read sometimes doing the workouts fasted can be better. I fully intend to eat something more like what you described after my workout
Thank you for your input!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Try to workout on an empty stomach and then next time try it with eating something before. If I wake up and I have little energy, I'll eat something like fruit and nuts, but if I have enough energy, I don't. Have you done any cardio type of workouts in the past? You shouldn't push yourself to where you have to puke, unless it is something that happens very easily and there is very little you can do about it.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Andrea Young

Profile:

During college I did cardio nearly everyday, I did conditioning for athletes/dancers and some type of dance class 6 times a week. Never felt like puking..however I've been told it's a common thing with CF..of course I'd rather not push myself that far..
Thanks for the suggestion..I kind of figured it's a listen to your body/experiment with it kind of thing..just don't want to have so much fruit that it's hindering fat loss.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Fasted CF is ok for the most part. I'd drink some juice but hold off on the nuts and eat afterward.

Puking up nuts isn't fun. Learned the hard way with that and Track and Field. It's not that it's any different but nuts seemed to be asking for it back then so I stay away from them.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Young View Post
Lol..the thing is I'll be doing CF early morning 5:30 or 6:30am and I don't want to meet pukie..also I read sometimes doing the workouts fasted can be better. I fully intend to eat something more like what you described after my workout
Thank you for your input!
as i do WODs at midday that hour of the day did not enter my head.. makes sense now

h
Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Elizabeth Ruiz

Profile:

I think 3 servings of fruit when trying to lose fat is going to be too much.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ruiz View Post
I think 3 servings of fruit when trying to lose fat is going to be too much.
Alot of that will depend on the rest of her diet. The amount of fructose in a glass of juice isn't exactly a make-or-break deal, unless she's already very lean and trying to drop that last few pounds.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Fasted CF is ok for the most part. I'd drink some juice but hold off on the nuts and eat afterward.

Puking up nuts isn't fun. Learned the hard way with that and Track and Field. It's not that it's any different but nuts seemed to be asking for it back then so I stay away from them.
Try to get up an hour before and at least have a small protein-carb shake. I do the early morning WOD 3x per week and I eat a handful of trail mix an hour before hand with a huge glass of water and pukie has stayed away. I will yield that everyone is very different for pre-WOD nutrition, so try different amounts of foods/shakes ~1hr to 30mins before hand.

Here is a great article on the importance of pre-WOD nutrition. (WFS). "without food is enough to leave you in a partially fasted state which can negatively impact your ability to perform your best in the gym"