CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Allison Robshaw

Profile:
Pain it top right glute-chronic

I have been crossfitting now for over two years but been a pretty active exerciser for 10. Since this summer I have developed pain in my right upper glute. Here is a little background....

I have a desk job. I know that sitting all day does not help my form so I try as much as I can to get up and walk around. I also stretch at my desk, after every WOD and on my off days. I pretty much live on my foam roller.

I know that I have weak glutes so I do basic exercises and stretching to help them. I will feel great for a couple days but then I go right back where I started.

I have been told that when I am doing anything weighted that I "lilt" to the left side. I have also tried certain stretching and exercises to correct that.

The pain feels like a knot and sometimes when I am laying down it will start to tingle in my right Quad. However; this is not all the time, and if I do some back stretching the tingling goes away.

Another odd thing that I have noticied...I row better using just my left leg than I do when I use both legs.

I have dropped weight, worked on form, taken time off, gotten massaged and anything else I can think of.

Has anyone experienced anything similiar or have any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Pain it top right glute-chronic

Have you seen a physical therapist?

This may be an SI joint issue, especially if you developed the pain after a car crash, fall, or other impact type activity.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Could also be a lower back issue. I know for me I had brutal pain in my upper left and right glute which extended down my legs. I saw my physio who began to search further and figured out that I had a possible disc herniation. She then did IMS therapy and some stretches (on-top of my foam roller exercises) for a couple of months and was able to work the pain into the back so it could be centralized (A lot of the time lower back injuries send responses of pain down your glute/legs).
This happened in September and I am still unable to lift- mostly because I thought I was recovered and went in hard on heavy lifts and injured it further.

Take your time and think of that as a possibility.
Hope you have a speedy recovery.
-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Michael Ko

Profile:

sounds more SI, as Steven said. it could be from the lumbar spine but if you are having right hip tenderness and leg weakness issues, i vote more towards SI joint. sound like you have done all you can to try and work on the tissues. i think you need a professional to look at this. from your subjective info, i'd think it is your pelvis not moving the way it should. no way of telling which direction is deficient without doing an objective examination.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, it doesn't sound like a low back issue, especially with the imbalance and tilting issues.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
Elizabeth Ruiz

Profile:

I'm with Matt on this one. I was experiencing the same pain and it ended up being my lower back. I started leaning as well but they say a lot of times that comes from trying to compensate for the injury. I would get an MRI.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

SI joint and pelvic cage issues. You need an alignment and you need to do more movements that activate your glutes (swings, deadlifts, etc.). I had the same problem.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Allison Robshaw

Profile:

Thank you all for your imput. I had a PT look at it and he said the first thing that saw was that my right hip was titled forward and in and the left was high and back. I have started on three basic exercises to activate those areas and to try to train the hip muscles. After doing that for a while we are going to progress. If I can get the hips to stablize and I am still having some numbness an ortho referral is in order.

I would do DL's and KBswings but those really aggravate my back so for right now I am modifying and taking more rest days.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Nothing really useful to add, just wanted to wave from next door in Bloomington, MN!