CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-28-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
Ori Filhart

Profile:  
I do the WOD at home and I don't have much equipment (much less big machines such as in the video for back extensions). What exercise can i substitute for back extensions?
Thanks.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
Guest2

Profile:

If you have anything that at all resembles a pommel horse sans pommels, you can lie on it face down, grab the sides/underneath, and raise your legs--reverse hypers. Different recruitment patten than the standard hypers, but super cool. We like both a lot.

We've also laid punching bags across parallel bars, then lain with the bags basically in the stomach, and again raised the legs.

You should be able to cook up something that elevates you high enough to have your legs hanging straight down toward the ground and let's you get a good enough grip to keep you on it. To make it easier, slide farther up; harder, slide father down.

Let us know if you create any brilliant rigs.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
you could use "hug a twinkie" It is sort of a reverse back extension. You can clear off your dinner table and lay on it holding on with your hands. Then lift your legs up above parallel.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Don Stevenson

Profile:
We don't have a GHD or back extension bench at my gym (I'm lobbying the owner for one) so last time back extensions came up i set up an aerobic step next to the power rack and wedged my feet under one of the safety pins.

Perhaps you can find the edge of a table, couch bench etc and get someone to hold you feet down or wedge yourself under something
Old 09-29-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/14431.jpg
Old 09-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
This morning I did back extensions on my 20inch box and hooked my heels under a shelf in the garage. I came close to hitting my head on the concrete floor a couple times but it worked.

Be creative, I'm sure you have something.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I've used all sorts of odd things to do back extensions. I currently use a Black & Decker workmate stand for hips, hook feet under workbench. You could use a strap to a car tire for feet, drape yourself over trash can (strong one). Put padding over lip of car trunk, put feet under something in truck. Use washing machine, sawhorses, etc.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
Guest2

Profile:

You can also do Good Mornings. Rack a bar across your traps like you're going to back squat, and fold forward at the hips--tight, arched back, slight knee bend.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
James Falkner

Profile:
8 bags of pine bark mulch from home depot. Stack them all in one stack, lie with your hips/quads on the bags (so that you can fully extend your hip), and hook your feet under a nearby table (I use a workbench). I did that for a few months but got sick of moving the bags back and forth (even though it's sort of a nice warmup), so I just plunked down the $280 for the GHD from nybarbells.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
You can sometimes do these with the preacher curl pulpit.

COLLECTIVE GASP!

Gotta find a use for 'em right. Just be ready to wait in line if you are trying to do this at the gym.