CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Fruit and side-effects

I've been doing a Paleo-ish lifestyle for just under a year now and I am loving it. However, recently I have been eating alot of fruit and almost zero vegetables since at my college, they rarely serve veggies. The past two weeks I have noticed that anytime I eat fruit I become bloated and an hour or two after I eat a meal that contains fruit as my sole carb source, my energy level drops significantly and I become tired and want to pass out. It's kind of like the effects of eating too many simple carbs. I also become jittery as well, kind of like the feeling you get when you are pumped up on adrenaline but are not doing anyting to force you to get pumped up (ex: sitting in class being bored). Now during the summer I ate alot more veggies, but all last semester I ate alot of fruit and little veggies and didn't have this problem.

My PWO meal consisted of roasted potatoes and string beans as my carb sources and I felt great after eating both. So my guess is that it is the fructose (or glucose) level in the fruit. For breakfast I always have two of the following fruits (depending on what fruit the cafeteria has for that morning): blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, peach, nectarine, or apple. This morning I had a cup of blueberries and a nectarine and I felt like crap two hours later. My workout suffered as well and even though my pull-ups were good for today's WOD, running-wise I was gassed way earlier than I normally am. I know that berries have less sugar, so should I try to eat solely berries for my fruit source? I just don't want to have to eat bread all the time because even though I don't mind it once in a while, anything more than 2-3x/week makes me literally sick since I'm not used to eating it all that much.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Re: Fruit and side-effects

What are you eating WITH the fruit? I think you should be eating some protein and fat with it. Maybe that would help.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Sorry I wasn't specific, but I always eat protein, carbs, and fat with every meal. I meant to say that I eat alot of fruit as my carb source for my meals, which also include protein and fat. I never eat fruit by itself.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

sounds like high insulin to me. Get it checked out by an MD! And cut way, way back on fruits. Dont use the cafeteria as an excuse, you can stock up on veggies in your room!! (I would assume at least)
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Wow, that would really suck. I just looked up the symptoms of it and I fit a good amount of the descriptions....sadly. I must admit that I just had a really stressful weekend and am having an extremely stressful week as it is with all the mountain of school work and golf practices and haven't gotten much sleep at all, so I hope the stress has something to do with it. I will see after this weekend because I am going home and should get plenty of rest. Thanks for the suggestion Sarena, I will definitely get a check up, if not for that but also because I haven't gotten one in quite some time and it would be good to see some actual evidence of how eating paleo-ish for a year how helped me.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

If anything, paleo will have helped you! But too much fruit really doesnt stick to paleo guidelines, does it now??

My MD was amazed when I had switched to paleo, based on my new blood levels (me being a former type 2 diabetic). My chol dropped amazingly as did blood glucose and all. But i was eating MAYBE 1 fruit a day. Been hard to stick with that--espec during the summer. I really hear you.....and sympathize!

But remember a diet or nutrition plan isnt the sole guideline in determining our bloods or health. We need to factor in stress ( a biggie), sleep patterns, fitness and a range of other things too!!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Keep fruit to only pre or post workout so you can burn it off or store it under optimal conditions. You don't need it all the time....especially if it makes you feel like crap. (that and wash your fruit...as you are eating all the chemicals that are on it as well)
Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

@Sarena- No, too much fruit really isn't paleo . I've been trying to get more veggies in and limiting the fruit as much as possible. This week was really bad concerning stress and sleep, but next week looks lighter workload wise, so I hope these symptoms go away as a result.

@Mike- I have kind of been thinking to limit fruit to those two meals and breakfast as well. I never wash the fruit when I am at college, but I am definitely going to start tomorrow. Hopefully that will help to alleviate the effects I feel. I started eating more veggies, even potatoes (roasted, mashed, etc) when there are no other veggies available. Even though potatoes are not an ideal source of veggies, it has helped and I feel much better and don't experience the drop in energy levels an hour or two later.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I know that the sugar in the fruit is the big problem for why I shouldn't eat so much fruit. This being said, at breakfast the only good source of carbs is fruit, there are zero veggies. I really don't want to eat fruit for awhile, so should i resort to having oatmeal or bread instead of fruit? I was just in this situation tonight where there were no veggies, so I had an apple (along with salmon and pecans) and I am sitting here three hours later still bloated and feeling like a fat a$$. It's such an uncomfortable feeling and I would happily eat oatmeal and/or bread instead of fruit so I won't have to experience this again.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Make sure you have veggies avail? You can always tote a tomato if u need to! (although they are a fruit as well!! and personally I dont eat em--avoid nightshades I do!)