CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: another back surgery question (have read current threads)

Quote:
The only exercise I can do is swimming
This to me sounds like a problem with your PT. From your description it seems your pain increases as your muscle mass decreases. Swimming is not a strength training program, neither are pain meds, epidurals, or TENS units. I would try to find a PT program that can somehow integrate more strength training into your recovery.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #12
Victoria Stiles

Profile:

Swimming is the good to strength your back. Living with the pain is not easy. Needless to say, the physical therapy and other necessary treatments will also affect.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria Stiles View Post
Swimming is the good to strength your back. Living with the pain is not easy. Needless to say, the physical therapy and other necessary treatments will also affect.
Swimming actually isn't the greatest. It's all concentric muscle activity and rarely puts the back in a good, neutral position. For people who have tight hip flexors (most CFers), it actually puts their back into lumbar extension, which is not a good position to be for those with back pathology.

Essentially, I'm just getting to the point that you need directed, applied therapy.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #14
Elizabeth Ruiz

Profile:

Your story is so similar to mine. I'm 28 and ended up having my L5/S1 fused about a year ago. I was going through the same pain as you. Finally got to the point where I couldn't even bend over to put on pants.

I was able to go back to crossfit within 3 months. Eased my way back into oly lifts, but for the first time in years I was box jumping and kb swinging without pain.

Being over 5 months post op and not able to do anything doesn't seem right. You should be back to at least 80% at this point. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Wish there was something I could say to help.

Good Luck!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #15
Victoria Stiles

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Sallee View Post
Swimming actually isn't the greatest. It's all concentric muscle activity and rarely puts the back in a good, neutral position. For people who have tight hip flexors (most CFers), it actually puts their back into lumbar extension, which is not a good position to be for those with back pathology.

Essentially, I'm just getting to the point that you need directed, applied therapy.
Take all medication and maintenance on time.While you are in the process of recovery, make sure you eat a healthy and balanced diet. The recovery will be faster if you balanced everything and not straining yourself too much.