CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Re: Indoor gym photography buffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peabody View Post
As others have mentioned above, it is about the lack of light. What mode are you shooting in? I have found to successfully shoot action in low light you need to shoot in manual mode and manage the settings yourself. I shoot a fair amount of youth basketball which takes place in dark gyms. In the box-gym I go to I think it would take a f1.8 or f1.4 (maybe a f2.8 if you pushed the iso high enough).

With that said I have this lens and for $100 I think one of the best deals out there for a Canon body is wfs - http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8...canon+35mm+1.8 - But I wonder even a 50 may be too long to shoot in the gym.

The other option you would have is to get some flashes set up and bounce them off the ceiling.

That being said, a note on camera bodies and lenses. Spend your money on
What lens have you been using. Can you post a link to some example of what you have taken up to now?

Bill
Like Bill said, using a flash(s) is going to be your best bet in low/poor lighting conditions.

A couple more random photography pointers for ya too.

Spend your money on good lenses-It's nice to have fancy camera bodies with lots of megapixels. However my old Canon 10D (6MP) with the 70-200 2.8 L-series lens will shoot better shots than the new 18MP T2i with a $100 "kit lens". Doesn't matter how many sensors or MP's you have if the image hitting the sensor looks like crap to begin with.

Stop using Automatic Functions (or become friends with the M setting)- The bain of modern photography IMO. Most of these automatic settings really only work under a certain set of lighting conditions. Become familiar with things like "The sunny 16 rule" or how to find 18% grey. Is your in-camera meter center-weighted or averaged? Learn what the inverse-square law is and how equivlant exposure works.

I can't tell you how frustrated I get when I see people with $5000 worth of camera and lens in their hands removing the lens hood because their back-lit pictures keep coming out too dark (actually witnessed that )

Once you understand why your photos look the way they do then you can start using the P function and make your own adjustments when needed, good-luck!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
Robert Abitia

Profile:
Re: Indoor gym photography buffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
I can't tell you how frustrated I get when I see people with $5000 worth of camera and lens in their hands removing the lens hood because their back-lit pictures keep coming out too dark (actually witnessed that )
^^^Classic.

I love that my wife has seen enough of my gear and assisted me at weddings enough to make this comment at Disneyland:

"Do you see the lady over there with 7D with the "L-Glass"? Does she know that her flash is up? What a waste of good gear!"

As the lady taking the photo with the California sun in her subjects eyes, no shade to be heard of, with the pop up flash up.

I don't like to poke fun. Sometimes it's just too laughable. That said, you're completely right an old camera body with some "know-how" is much more powerful than the newer stuff without a clue!