CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
David Partay

Profile:
Anterior pelvic tilt + squat therapy

After several months of noticing my recovery time after squats becoming longer and longer, and incredibly poor OH squat form, I finally discovered that my problem is that I have anterior pelvic tilt. That was about a week ago.

So, I have begun following the 'squat therapy' advice on the mainsite exercises page, although rather than using a box and plates to gauge my depth I try to 'feel' when my lower back is rolling over.

I have noticed already that I'm not leaning forwards and losing my balance as much, I can do OH squats to full depth again (and yesterday hit my previous 3RM PR as a 5RM).

To correct the anterior pelvic tilt, I have begun doing long lunge-style stretches, some dynamic stretches emphasises a backwards swing with my legs, and when I walk I try to push my quads back, if that makes sense. I have also noticed that it takes much less muscular effort to 'force' my pelvis into correct alignment, and I can generally walk around doing so without having to hold my breath (which I couldn't do previously).

Now that that's all out of the way, I can get to my actual question: Has anyone had any experience with 'rehab' for Anterior pelvic tilt - ie. been afflicted personally, or provided coaching for someone with it, who can tell me if it's possible to actually permanently correct the issue? By this I mean, is it possible to eventually be able to stand and walk without conscious muscle activation to fix the issue.

The reason I ask is because I was first aware of the acute curvature in my spine when I was about 9 years old, but until the last two or three weeks or so when looking up squat therapy I didn't realise that it was actually an issue - and not just poor form with my squats.

For the record, I do all my training at home, but I am very careful about form and frequently video myself training to see what I'm doing. It's because squats were becoming harder and harder (including air squats) that I felt the need to start trying to cover all bases.

Sorry for the long-winded post
Old 01-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Anterior pelvic tilt + squat therapy

Tight and usually strong hip flexors (including rectus femoris a quad muscle), and low back

Glutes/hammies and abs too long and weak

Those are the main things you want to target

For glutes, semi-wfs
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...the_glute_myth
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
David Partay

Profile:

I am aware of that, did you stop reading before you got to my actual question? I was asking if it is actually possible to completely rehabilitate the condition or if it is something I will have to continually work on?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Yes, it's possible to fix completely.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
David Partay

Profile:

Thanks for letting me know

By the way, thanks for the link - I do try to learn as much as I can!