CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
suggested times/weights for kids in an event

We're putting on a fitness competition with a large local organization, and I'm wondering if you guys could help us throw together some appropriate numbers for some events for kids, basically weights, times, etc, that 85% of kids should be able to do, we're not out to hurt a kids feelings by them not being able to do anything, but if they're insanely obese or unfit, I've got no problem them realizing that they need to get better if they fail a few tests.

Here's what I'm looking at now:

Tire Flips (50 feet for adults)
Max pullups (or static hang)
Max pushups (all kinds of scaled...)
2x DB Farmers walk for weight (100 yards for adults)
Core test (situps, v-ups, or hanging knees to elbows)
Med Ball toss for height (kinda like the weight toss for height in Highland Games)
Sandbag Sprint (100 yards - 45/25lb sandbag men/women)
Sandbag shuttle run (move 10 sandbags 10 yards to another pallet, then move them back) for time.

The kids age groups I'm considering are:
0-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-15 girls/boys, 16-18 girls/boys

Right now what I've put together for about the 15th percentile and above to succeed at is this, with age groups in their same order as above:

8 sec hang, 25 sec hang, 1 pullup, 3 pullups, 5 pullups, 5 pullups, 8 pullups

farmers walk: 2db x 3 lbs @ 25 yds, 5 lbs @ 50 yds, 10 lbs @ 100 yds, 20 lbs @ 100 yds, 25 lbs @ 100 yds, 25 lbs @ 100 yds, 35 lbs @ 100 yds

On the others I'm not sure on weights, times, reps, scaling, etc, for each age group. Or if the ones I put together are anywhere close.

I've only got a 5 year old girl to go with to get some ideas, the 3 boys are all too young to even try any of this (or listen enough to do the events correctly). She did a 15 sec static hang without trouble before demanding I let her down from the 8 foot pullup bar I had hands right next to her the whole time, don't worry