CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Mike Onghena

Profile:
Wall ball with no wall. How bad am I cheating?

I have a 16lbs (~7.2kg) homemade medicine ball (old basketball) which I use for wall ball. What I lack is a wall. My basement ceiling is too low and I have siding on the outside of the house which I do not want to damage. So, whenever wall-ball comes up in a WOD, I throw the ball straight up and down without bouncing it off a wall..

Am I missing anything doing it this way? It is a big tougher on the neck, but assuming I still get the height on the throw, I'm pretty close to the proper exercise, right? (other than the 4lbs short on weight due to the ball itself)
Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Jason Peacock

Profile:
Re: Wall ball with no wall. How bad am I cheating?

If you're still getting the ball 10ft up then there's not much of a difference other than slight form changes in catching the ball.

If you're only throwing the ball 7-8ft up then it's easier, you're not getting as much out of it (less force required). A heavier ball (>20#) thrown to 7-8ft would make up for it.