CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-08-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
Mike Marin

Profile:
Smile Equipment

I wrote a few days ago about my sudden opportunity to become a full-on trainer. As I stated earlier, I have a group of about 10 who are working out with me on a consistant basis. I'm not charging anyone - however, they all wish to donate some equipment that can be used by everyone.
I won't be "training" anyone until I get some insurance and affiliate myself - but I'll deal with that matter separately.

For now, I'd like to know if Medicine balls (2-3, 8#, 10# &12#), dumbbells ( 8#-25#), a plyo box, 2 pairs of flexbands, 2-3 sets of parallettes (home made), and some PVC pipes will be a good start.

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction to where I can get some equipment pretty cheap, I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

Medicine balls: I can't afford Dynamax yet - would the Everlast Med balls be okay?

I have to say that I'm as scared and freaked out as I am excited!!!

This has been a dream of mine since I picked up the September issue of Mens health magazine back in 1998 - now that it seems there's no more running from it, it's a bit surreal.
I was in Real Estate/Mortgages since I was 12...I hated 90% of the time I spent in that business - I was asleep the other 10%.
I don't want to let the opportunity to "live the dream" pass me by again.

Thanks guys & gals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Re: Equipment

Mike' Ive got some good deals on med. balls on my website
ws/fs
Check my training equipment page, okay?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Coach Sommer is selling his Extreme Rings, which have been receiving some favorable reviews, for 60 dollars shipped on E-bay. These are directly from the man, and he has great feeback; in addition, he trains his athletes with them, for what that's worth.

If you don't already have some, they are a great tool for training, as they are small, light, portable, and can be used for Pull ups, Dips, Muscleups, and many, many more exercises.

You would probably be better off starting with either KB's, if you can afford it, or an olympic barbell and some bumpers. This assumes you will not be training all 10 people at the same time, and will cover so many exerises. Priority, depending on class size, should be the on getting the barbell, and, though it will be expensive, it is an investment.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Joseph Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DiMeo View Post
Mike' Ive got some good deals on med. balls on my website
ws/fs
Check my training equipment page, okay?

edit. sorry.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

You want some CHEAP (and not exactly high quality, but get the job done) medicine balls, look up Champion Barbell on Amazon. I picked up a couple just to have as extras (actually, they're more professional looking than my preferred medicine balls, which are sand filled and duct taped basketballs.

The Champion Barbell medicine balls are CHEAP, they are lopsided, and just plain sad, but they worked well for our first park workout today (complete with "throw the medicine ball from standing, go pick it up, throw it again, etc, for a set distance").