CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-05-2007, 07:24 AM   #21
Alex Europa

Profile:
Re: Which diet is more effective in given cases, Paleolithic diet or Zone diet?

It sounds like you're close, but I know I was surprised at some of the differences that I found between the eyeball method and what I actually started weighing. As I said earlier, everything is an experiment of one, maybe this will work for you, maybe it won't. But I would say that either way, you'll be a better, more informed person (not saying that you aren't now, but it will give you first hand experience to bash me next time this comes up :lol. Keep us up to speed and let us know your overall results.

- Alex
Old 11-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #22
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Zhuang View Post
Before this explodes....

how about taking an entirely different approach and encouraging people to try out what Coach suggests, rather than imposing standards and making what Coach says "the law" so that people who don't conform to those standards or break the law are lazy or XYZ.

There are many ways to get to a destination, some efficient and some not-so-efficient, and Zone is just one of them. So is the WOD.

Alex, I acknowledge that you have a right to your opinion. However, imposing it on others is another matter and the latter approach to CF is the kind that usually makes people annoyed or upset and turn away from CF.

Alicia, I just think that sometimes our world is too touchy feel and "kindler, gentler." Again my opinion, but I think that there are certain circumstances that warrant a completely honest answer. This discussion started off as "which is better for..." and in my opinion, based off what I've read/heard from Coach and RESEARCHED ON MY OWN, Zone is where it's at. Period. People come on here asking what nutritional program will give them the best results. According to coach, precision and accuracy in your diet is the answer, every time.

Is everything that Coach says Law? Hell no, I make sure I take the information that he gives me and do my own research in scientific journals, studies, etc...and formulate my own opinion - which FWIW has coincided with Coach's results, every time.

- Alex
Old 11-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #23
Brad Davis

Profile:

Alex, I was just thinking that we're really splitting hairs here. There are folks out there who do very well and think folks with either Paleo or Paleo/Zone/Measuring are off the deep end. Our views are so close together on the diet opinion spectrum that it's really not worth arguing about.

Kind regards and good luck with your training.
DBD
Old 11-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #24
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
Alex, I was just thinking that we're really splitting hairs here. There are folks out there who do very well and think folks with either Paleo or Paleo/Zone/Measuring are off the deep end. Our views are so close together on the diet opinion spectrum that it's really not worth arguing about.

Kind regards and good luck with your training.
DBD
I agree...Hug?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #25
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
I agree...Hug?
"Alex" is a male name, so.....NO!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #26
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Paleo is more effective in terms of health.

Zone is more effective in body comp and performance improvement.

So why not combine the two and get the best of both worlds. Then throw in some IF for the cherry on top.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #27
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Paleo is more effective in terms of health.

Zone is more effective in body comp and performance improvement.

So why not combine the two and get the best of both worlds. Then throw in some IF for the cherry on top.
Great point. Thought you might chime in.
Looking at the Aeropress, though I just ordered Fractional Plates from Woody's site.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #28
Scott Kustes

Profile:

Alex, it would behoove you to not be so dogmatic throughout life. Many around here have done Zone and Paleo/Zone, before settling into strict Paleo. I perform better and look better on Paleo with lower carbs than Zone than I ever did on the Zone. You can talk about "lazy" all day, but that just reeks of "I do it this way, so it's the ONLY right way." Ease up a bit and you might learn something....attacking people isn't going to engender much goodwill.

Steve, I don't even agree with the blanket statement that Zone is better for body comp. My body comp is better on Paleo than it ever was on a measured or eyeballed Zone.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #29
Victor Putz

Profile:

Actually there are two schools of thought that always seem to arise with any activity.

School A says "If you're pretty much doing it, you are a part of our community." School B says "unless you are doing it 100%, you are not DOING IT."

Take me, for example. I don't have access to equipment (or food preparation) and do a mockery of the WOD in my room as best I can, with lots of substitutions. School A would say "yeah, you're doing crossfit; just try and work up to the WOD as Rx'd"; school B would say "yeah, work up to it, but you can't say you're doing crossfit until you can do the whole WOD."

My point being that the two schools of thought attract very different clientele, and if you're trying to spread the good word, School A is a way better choice. I've seen people try School B, and it is lousy for recruitment and only works for motivation on other people who buy that line of reasoning.

That doesn't mean it's BAD... it just means that it attracts people who think in absolutes. Either you ARE doing crossfit or you aren't. Either you are eating healthy or you are eating unhealthy. Either you are good or you are evil. And in general one misstep is enough. The problem is, these are the folks who, if they aren't careful, build up Iron Clad Rules (I WILL NOT EAT CHOCOLATE) and if they ever break them, well, it's all over so you may as well binge.

Myself, I'll stick with the grey mushy amorphousness of School A. Because sure, I may not be satisfying everything which would make me "doing crossfit"--but that also means that no matter how good I get, there's always room for more. It also means that I'm eating healthy by having fruit and eggs for breakfast, and I can feel good about that... but I could feel better by having fruit, eggs, almonds, and cottage cheese in a 30-30-40 Zone-like split. I don't have to worry that "I'm not DOING THE ZONE! I must be a horrible person!"--but one meal out of the day is a step healthier than none, so I can feel good about that too.

But hey, some people really go for the ironclad-rules-and-if-you-deviate-you-are-a-failure thing. More power to 'em, if that's what flips yer boat. I'll just slouch over here and suck a little bit less every day.