CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-21-2007, 04:09 AM   #1
Michael Terska

Profile:
Paleolithic Diet Clinical Trial

Purpose
There is uncertainty about the optimal diet in the prevention and treatment of diabetes type 2. Earlier studies have generally focused on intakes of fat, protein, carbohydrate, fiber, fruit and vegetables. This study is based on another approach which compares foods that were available during human evolution with more recently introduced ones. The basic tenet from evolutionary biology is that if human physiology is less adapted to a relatively recently introduced diet based on agriculture, this could cause disturbances to human physiology and ultimately lead to diseases. Epidemiological studies indicates that diabetes mellitus type 2 is absent or near absent in populations eating a Palaeolithic (“Old Stone Age”) diet which is free from food items produced in agriculture or the food industry. Our study hypothesis is that a Palaeolithic diet is better than the standard diabetes diet recommended today in treating diabetes type 2.

Fifteen patients with diabetes type 2 have been randomized to 1) a Palaeolithic diet based on lean meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, root vegetables, eggs, and nuts, or 2) a standard diabetes diet as recommended by national health authorities. The patients eat the diet they have been randomized to for three months and then switches to the other diet for another three months. The study is conducted in Primary Health Care stations.

Thought this might look interesting to everyone, especially my fellow diabetics. Apparently what the people in this crossfit community have been doing for some time just may be legit. LOL. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this trial.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Paleolithic Diet Clinical Trial

What were the results? Do you have a link, or a reference to the journal this came from? I'd be very interested in reading the original. Thanks!

Susie
Old 09-21-2007, 06:03 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

I too would like the full article, it is proper to link where the article came from.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Trial is still under way:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00435240?order=3

(safe, other references linked to this)
Old 09-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Jake A Shannon

Profile:

Thank you for this!
Old 09-23-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Great to see this study. Disappointed in the size. 15 participants are unlikely to provide a meaningful conclusion that can be generalized unless the difference in outcomes is very large.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Michael Terska

Profile:

Sorry for the delay, I just found it while surfing along one day. I plan on checking in on it from time to time to see the results. Should be interesteing though like someone already said, only 15 folks is a small test group.