CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #891
Andrew Milligan

Profile:
Re: An Effective, Yet Simple Strength and Conditioning Program

OK, another question for you guys.

So my globo is opening late on Friday morning, so I can't get in for my deadlift day. My plan is to go tomorrow for my squat/bench day and throw in a metcon featuring deadlifts. What are you thoughts on this? If you think it's a good idea, can you recommend a good metcon featuring deadlifts? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #892
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Deadlift/Burpee workout from the '08 games. Simple and hard.

5 RFT of:

5 deadlifts
10 burpees

Rx'd weight for men is 275#, but be smart with the weight you choose. Since you are currently maxing out at 335, I would probably go with something between 205 to 225. You want to be able to pump this WOD out fast, and not have to stare at the bar while you recover for your next lift attempt. Being out of breath from the burpees may be a different thing though But, as always with any WOD featuring deadlifts, try and control your breathing so that you don't pull while you are destabilized from breathing hard. Pull singles if you need to so that you can get a good amount of air into your lungs/belly to protect yourself.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #893
Travis Huber

Profile:

I've been searching this long, long thread for the past two hours to try and avoid a repeated question, but I couldn't find an answer (could be due to the fact that it's in the wee hours of the morning and I'm half asleep). Anyways,

1. I know my 1RM's on all of the basic lifts of this program (minus bench press). Is there any way I can calculate my starting weights (for the 5 and 3's) without having to test my 3 and 5 rep maxes for a whole week or so? Sorry if this has been asked before. I probably skipped over the thread that it was discussed in.

2. On days with conditioning, do the conditioning workouts have to be right after the strength workout (given a 10 to 15 minutes rest interval)? Or could I do the strength in the morning and do a quick, intense metcon in the afternoon/evening (college classes take up the majority of my day).

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #894
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Huber View Post
I've been searching this long, long thread for the past two hours to try and avoid a repeated question, but I couldn't find an answer (could be due to the fact that it's in the wee hours of the morning and I'm half asleep). Anyways,

1. I know my 1RM's on all of the basic lifts of this program (minus bench press). Is there any way I can calculate my starting weights (for the 5 and 3's) without having to test my 3 and 5 rep maxes for a whole week or so? Sorry if this has been asked before. I probably skipped over the thread that it was discussed in.

2. On days with conditioning, do the conditioning workouts have to be right after the strength workout (given a 10 to 15 minutes rest interval)? Or could I do the strength in the morning and do a quick, intense metcon in the afternoon/evening (college classes take up the majority of my day).

Thanks for the help!
1. You can use something like this:
http://www.ivannikolov.com/msns/calc...calculator.php (WFS)
to calculate your 5rm. It's not absolute science, but you're supposed to be starting a little light anyway...

2. Can't think of any reason you shouldn't / couldn't.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #895
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

Ok, I have an odd question here. On my first squat day this week my weight was 265 lbs. (a new 5RM). Today I mis remembered my log and instead of bumping to 270 lbs., I bumped to 275 lbs. I was able to hit all three sets so now that's my new 5 RM, but what should I do next week? If I go to 280, will I mess up my progression? should I do another week at 275 and get back on track? If I wasn't maxing out each time, I wouldn't ask, but I'm not sure what to do in this case. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #896
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Milligan View Post
Ok, I have an odd question here. On my first squat day this week my weight was 265 lbs. (a new 5RM). Today I mis remembered my log and instead of bumping to 270 lbs., I bumped to 275 lbs. I was able to hit all three sets so now that's my new 5 RM, but what should I do next week? If I go to 280, will I mess up my progression? should I do another week at 275 and get back on track? If I wasn't maxing out each time, I wouldn't ask, but I'm not sure what to do in this case. Thanks in advance!
Continue to increase the weight until you are no longer able to do so. Then reset and repeat at least once.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #897
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

Thanks Jonathan!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #898
Travis Huber

Profile:

Not sure if anyone browses this thread still but I'll ask a quick question anyways. I'm following this program on the button and seeing great results (mostly sled and rowing work for conditioning). However, I've been wanting to incorporate muscle-ups back into my programming since I used to do them constantly when I followed CF main page. If I were to put them into a conditioning workout on, say, a friday, should I skip that days dips (I do ring dips) and just rely on the muscle-ups to get in my dip work? I know I can probably just test it on my own and that it's probably a dumb question, but I just figured I'd see what more experienced people thought about it. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #899
Philip Rivera

Profile:

is there an updated link to the S&C program? The one listed here doesn't work.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #900
Philip Rivera

Profile:

Is there an updated link for 70s big S&C program? The one in this thread doesn't work.