CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #341
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: An Effective, Yet Simple Strength and Conditioning Program

Question about metcons: I'm playing on two intramural basketball teams and the games are wednesday at night for the next two months. One team's games are always at seven, while the other one's time changes each week; this week it's at 8. The games are 40 minutes long and I play anywhere from 20-30 minutes per game. These just started up two weeks ago, and I've been skipping the metcon on tuesdays and treating the games the following night as the conditioning. Is it fine to do this? I know at one point the games will affect the squats on thursday, but I'm hoping that by skipping the metcon on tuesday I will somewhat help the process of recovering instead of doing essentially two conditioning workouts in two days and causing a stall in the squats earlier. When the games are over I will add the metcon on tuesday back in, but for now I am just wondering what to do.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #342
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Yes it's fine. My brother did the program playing a couple b-ball games a week like yourself and ended up missing metcons and workouts and then making them up when possible (the strength). The main thing is keep after it. Follow the program as best you can and it will work.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #343
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nakashima View Post
Yes it's fine. My brother did the program playing a couple b-ball games a week like yourself and ended up missing metcons and workouts and then making them up when possible (the strength). The main thing is keep after it. Follow the program as best you can and it will work.
Ok thanks, will do.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #344
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I just wanted to say I completed 10 weeks of a modified version of this without ever missing a workout, but I have to take a week off. My question is: should I start back up "finding" my starting weights (stopping when bar speed slows) or should I pick up where I left or decrease just a small percentage?

Oh and before you answer: It started as modified version but eventually morphed into the real program. The thing is my training partner couldn't squat correctly so the first few weeks while we built his flexibility (which was atrocious) we replaced squats for a unilateral leg drill (the one Mike Boyle recommends). We also did the Pendlay Row instead of the clean. But about 3 weeks ago we started with both of them. His squats look pretty fine now, by filming him and giving him some cues he's squatting fine. We're both learning the PC too.

Sickness and a minor injury led us to take this break after 10 weeks without a single session missed.

I gotta say this program, despite being done NOT as rx'd (no squats!! wtf?) I still set all time PR's in everything else. Just by a little bit, but still, I know had I squatted I'd have gotten even stronger and it was just 10 weeks. I'll take those improvements I got anyways! Made me happy.

I'm also glad to have found a guy so willing to workout like my friend, he hasn't missed a session and he's married, like me, and works a lot. Love it to workout with someone with will! I had worked out alone for about 3-4 years now.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #345
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I just wanted to say I completed 10 weeks of a modified version of this without ever missing a workout, but I have to take a week off. My question is: should I start back up "finding" my starting weights (stopping when bar speed slows) or should I pick up where I left or decrease just a small percentage?

Oh and before you answer: It started as modified version but eventually morphed into the real program. The thing is my training partner couldn't squat correctly so the first few weeks while we built his flexibility (which was atrocious) we replaced squats for a unilateral leg drill (the one Mike Boyle recommends). We also did the Pendlay Row instead of the clean. But about 3 weeks ago we started with both of them. His squats look pretty fine now, by filming him and giving him some cues he's squatting fine. We're both learning the PC too.

Sickness and a minor injury led us to take this break after 10 weeks without a single session missed.

I gotta say this program, despite being done NOT as rx'd (no squats!! wtf?) I still set all time PR's in everything else. Just by a little bit, but still, I know had I squatted I'd have gotten even stronger and it was just 10 weeks. I'll take those improvements I got anyways! Made me happy.

I'm also glad to have found a guy so willing to workout like my friend, he hasn't missed a session and he's married, like me, and works a lot. Love it to workout with someone with will! I had worked out alone for about 3-4 years now.
Just do a small reset below what your weights were when you took a week off.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #346
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rooks View Post
Just do a small reset below what your weights were when you took a week off.
If the lifts still feel good (not close to failing, i.e. missing 3 or more reps over all sets), I say keep going. I took some time off due to the holidays and jumped backed in with no reset and had good results. YMMV.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #347
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
If the lifts still feel good (not close to failing, i.e. missing 3 or more reps over all sets), I say keep going. I took some time off due to the holidays and jumped backed in with no reset and had good results. YMMV.
Time off for the holidays is very different than being out sick. Time off allows you to recover and come back stronger like you did. When you are sick and go days without eating, you get weaker. Besides why not do a small reset, 10-20lbs or 10% and plug away at it again? It sets you back like a week or two.

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/02/dont-train-sick/ probably not wfs
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #348
Vince Mannella

Profile:

I'd like to see the program but when I click on the link I get "404 not found". Can anyone help me out?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #349
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Givens View Post
Maybe they're working on a new version or something. Well, here's a link to the doc from the original post until they get their link working again.

Lascek_S&CP_v2.0.pdf - WFS

I hope it's OK with the OP that I posted this. If not, let me know and I'll unshare the doc.
Vince, hit the link above. That should take you there!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #350
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

I am just starting CFWF/70's Big program. Have a squat stand/bumpers/pullup bars but no bench. Is there a substitute for bench? Max push-ups? I have TRX suspention system...will weighted vest TRX push ups work?

I know people have altered this progam to fit needs/equipment...just looking for advice. Maybe I should man up, get some cabbage, and get a bench?

Also, pretty new to strength prog. - why no power snatches in this program? Is it smart to build them into the allowable metcons?

Thanks!
Kevin