CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Kevin Jackson

Profile:
my first CF experience: Fran!

Did my first CF workout on Saturday (Fran), and I'm hooked. I have been reading about CF for a while and finally decided to jump into the deep end and start with Fran, which I gathered to be one of the classic benchmark workouts. My goal was to actually finish, and I'm proud to say that I did, albeit in 11:50. The pull-ups were definitely my weakness. I was gassed for 20 minutes.

BUT...I'm hooked! Pretty pumped up to go to today's WOD in an hour or so. Thanks to everybody on here for all of the great information they have contributed to this forum. I look forward to gaining more CF experience and hopefully contributing something of my own.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: my first CF experience: Fran!

Weren't exactly wading in the shallow end, were you?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Kevin Jackson

Profile:

definitely not. since i feel comfortable with most of the exercises and loads, i figured it was one of the better benchmarks I could do to see where i stand. definitely still feeling it; and now i'm seeing that tuesday's wod is all thrusters and pullups...time to peruse the archives.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Jackson View Post
definitely not. since i feel comfortable with most of the exercises and loads, i figured it was one of the better benchmarks I could do to see where i stand. definitely still feeling it; and now i'm seeing that tuesday's wod is all thrusters and pullups...time to peruse the archives.
Something I did when I was following mainpage was go back in time several months (or even a year). I was following a 3/1/2/1 work/rest split and the 3/1 on the mainpage doesn't jive with that. I always had a workout available to me if a rest day was programmed but it was not my rest day (skip to next day, duh!). Also, if I didn't have equipment, I'd have adequate time to look for a sub or consider skipping that workout and doing the following day's instead. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
Troy Becker

Profile:

So I'm curious what your time was, if you scaled, and mostly: how sore you are.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Kevin Jackson

Profile:

my time was 11:50, as rx'd. the thrusters were pretty solid, but my pullups were weak and really slowed me down (still working on my kipping technique too). i was just generally gassed the rest of the day on saturday, and pretty sore on sunday. i wasn't too sore on monday: i did the WOD with no issues (and in 13:40). i was worried that my legs would still be dead from saturday's fran but they felt pretty good. not sure i would have stuck with monday's WOD if it was more shoulder intensive...also why I am looking through the archives today to find a WOD that's not all thrusters and pullups.

thanks for the feedback everybody! i'm very happy to be getting to know the community and i look forward to sticking around for a while!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Kevin Jackson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
Something I did when I was following mainpage was go back in time several months (or even a year). I was following a 3/1/2/1 work/rest split and the 3/1 on the mainpage doesn't jive with that. I always had a workout available to me if a rest day was programmed but it was not my rest day (skip to next day, duh!). Also, if I didn't have equipment, I'd have adequate time to look for a sub or consider skipping that workout and doing the following day's instead. Good luck.
great idea! thanks for the tip.