CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
Monika Scott

Profile:
New Box in Woodbridge, VA

Howdy,

I'm the very new kid to the box ownership playground. CrossFit Infinity (XFI) is located in Northern Woodbridge, VA. Our very first day was Monday, February 24 and so far, aside from the snow, things are going well.

I'm not one to sit back with the ideology that, "If you build it they will come", so we have been marketing heavily in very conventional ways. We have several events lined up with local partners, we canvas local areas with fliers, utilize facebook, linked in, and twitter, we solicit community and school sports teams, working to get involved with our community, schools and churches, we post on CraigsList and talk about XFI till our cheeks are blue.

This area isn't saturated with boxes, so for us, as newbies, it's a matter of getting our name out there and letting people know who we are and what we are about!

Are there any particular strategies that you, other box owners, have found successful?

Thanks
-Monika
Old 03-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Richard Hartford

Profile:
Re: New Box in Woodbridge, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika Scott View Post
Howdy,

I'm the very new kid to the box ownership playground. CrossFit Infinity (XFI) is located in Northern Woodbridge, VA. Our very first day was Monday, February 24 and so far, aside from the snow, things are going well.

I'm not one to sit back with the ideology that, "If you build it they will come", so we have been marketing heavily in very conventional ways. We have several events lined up with local partners, we canvas local areas with fliers, utilize facebook, linked in, and twitter, we solicit community and school sports teams, working to get involved with our community, schools and churches, we post on CraigsList and talk about XFI till our cheeks are blue.

This area isn't saturated with boxes, so for us, as newbies, it's a matter of getting our name out there and letting people know who we are and what we are about!

Are there any particular strategies that you, other box owners, have found successful?

Thanks
-Monika
Congrats on the opening Monika, since you have only been open for a few weeks have you seen a lot of return on the work you have done with the advertising and such? If so what rate are you seeing compared to how much you are putting out there?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Dustin Gyurina

Profile:

I noticed it can take a long time for people to come in from when they first hear about you. I've had people tell me that they took a flyer over 6 months ago and let it sit on their desk for months before finally trying a class. Because of this you cannot expect to measure results of your marketing effort in such a short time frame. Keep reminding people that your here and they will eventually come.

Congratulations and good luck!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Adam Morden

Profile:

Skip Chase gave this advice years ago and it served me very well. (and sorry Skip if I remembered the details wrong!)

Basically wear your CF swag everywhere you go, and carry business cards with you everywhere. give out at least 10 per day. I added 13 members in the first month of my affiliate specifically from people I had talked to on the street, at gas stations, or in restaurants (and that was back in the old days when no one had a clue what CrossFit was).

The other thing that worked really well for us was simple posters (like CROSSFIT WEBSITE PHONE #) put up on every lamppost in a 30 min walk of our box

I also agree that it can take a while to get people in the door. But just keep at it as much as possible, and most importantly (because lots of boxes don't do this) follow up with everyone who calls you or comes in for a trial.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Good luck, Monika!
If you ever want to stop by and chat - I'm only a few miles north of you.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Brian Diez

Profile:

I would hold a competition if I were you.

Invite some of the local boxes for a fundraiser. Encourage everyone to bring a friend. Have some raffles and prizes.

It's the friends of existing CrossFitters that you're after. They need to come see a WOD in action, for a good cause, and that will motivate them to sign up for a trial or evaluation.

Make sure to issue press releases, as well as leverage social media, to get the word out. Make it the place to be; an event not to be missed.

Repeat every 3 months.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Monika Scott

Profile:

Thank you thank you!

I'll definitely swing by to say hello. I really appreciate the feed back. Even though things are "ok" (13 members in 2 weeks - plus snow days, and a few potentials in the book), I still feel this is low.

I've started wearing my XFI shirt everywhere and have encouraged my coaches to do so as well. And sure enough, people were really interested!

We are canvasing the area w/ fliers this week as well and are putting together several events and competitions to cover the next few months.

Thank you all again for the advice!

-M