CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #31
Danny Sidebottom

Profile:
Re: Correcting an Air Squat

Welp, I guess I lose. I have to stop trying to prove my point and just stick with having an opinion.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #32
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
And, if you will read my first post, I gave him feedback on how to improve his air squat, since it is a goal of his. However, I refuse to believe that spending 4-5 sessions per week doing 80 air squats at a time will be at all beneficial to him. And, I don't think anyone else who has responded in this thread does either.

When I said that people have been squatting since the dawn of time, I meant that there is no magic to it. Humans are supposed to squat. People squat down to pick up a pen without thinking about it. People squat to sit on the toilet without thinking about it.

My opinion doesn't matter to you. But, it matters to other people. And according to your theory, I should stop listening to all of the CrossFit affiliate owners/coaches whose opinions I value BECAUSE THEY DON'T CROSSFIT EITHER. Lots of people in the CrossFit community take some time off to pursue a specific sport. Some of them come back to CrossFit, some of them don't. It's not a crime.
Don't get me wrong. I take advice and learn from lots of people who don't CrossFit...I just don't listen to people who bad mouth it and its methods under the guise of "helping people" on its own forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Rene's just jealous that he can't do the pollo loco air squat as fast as tamara
I'm often reminded of my time in grade school. I wasn't always the best student, but there were always the "cool" kids who sat in the back of class making "hilarious" remarks...they never really ended up achieving much, did they. Rippetoe always warned against getting sucked in to the opinions of "keyboard ninjas"...but thanks for your input.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 01-06-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #33
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Don't get me wrong. I take advice and learn from lots of people who don't CrossFit...I just don't listen to people who bad mouth it and its methods under the guise of "helping people" on its own forum.

I'm often reminded of my time in grade school. I wasn't always the best student, but there were always the "cool" kids who sat in the back of class making "hilarious" remarks...they never really ended up achieving much, did they. Rippetoe always warned against getting sucked in to the opinions of "keyboard ninjas"...but thanks for your input.
Well, I have over 3000 posts on this forum, Rene. It seems that you fixate on a handful of posts of mine and interpret them to mean that I hate CrossFit, which is far from the truth. You don't want or need my help or my opinion, and that's fine. When other people stop asking for my advice and using it to become better CrossFitters, then that might be the time for me to leave.

There are plenty of people on these forums who know me in real life. They've competed with me or trained with me or cheered for me or coached me or been coached by me. If I was going to care about people's opinions, those would be the ones that would matter.

I have also kept a public workout log here since I started. I may never be the best at anything, whether it is CrossFit or weightlifting or powerlifting, but I train and compete because I love it. If I ever start worrying about what I've achieved, I'll just go read my log.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #34
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:

Your missing the bigger point.

Don't you think it's a little counterproductive to fuss over air squatting the way your taught at a level 1 cert. When you're just gonna go to a CF PL cert after and be told that all those cues are nonsense, and the only thing to worry about is sitting your a** back? It really doesn't matter if you air squat PL style, olympic style, etc. Yes you should stay on your heals, yes you should keep your knees out. A little spinal flexion at the bottom isn't ideal, but it's acceptable, as even Glenn Pendlay said this last week. But that is all basic basic s***. It shouldn't take you days to learn this exercise, more like minutes.

And that old school video about the how perfecting the air squat requires super advanced core strength, how having a vertical torso is necessary for a perfect air squat, how vital eliminating the butt wink is, etc, etc. That's all wrong. Pendlay, Rip and Louie have all implied this in various ways. If all those guys are saying that, then what's the point of taking it so seriously? They work for or worked for CF at one point so where are their opinions less valid? Just squat lol.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 01-06-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #35
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
I take advice and learn from lots of people who don't CrossFit...
I don't mean to hijack this thread but these types of statements make my skin crawl.

What exactly is "doing crossfit"?????????

If you follow CFFB do you "crossfit"?
If you follow CFE do you "crossfit"?

If the answer is yes to both then what is "crossfit"?

The CFJ is one of my most cherished resources. I am active on this board and frequent about 10 affiliate sites a day to see their programming. But I don't recall ever doing a "hero" workout, I don't do chippers or wallballs and I think thrusters are silly and SDHP's are actually dangerous. So do I "crossfit"?

If not, what is it exactly that I do?

A friend of mine, goes to Gold's. Does he "Gold's Gyms"?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #36
Susan Croft

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
::delurks::

LOL!

::goes back to lurking::
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #37
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread but these types of statements make my skin crawl.

What exactly is "doing crossfit"?????????

If you follow CFFB do you "crossfit"?
If you follow CFE do you "crossfit"?

If the answer is yes to both then what is "crossfit"?

The CFJ is one of my most cherished resources. I am active on this board and frequent about 10 affiliate sites a day to see their programming. But I don't recall ever doing a "hero" workout, I don't do chippers or wallballs and I think thrusters are silly and SDHP's are actually dangerous. So do I "crossfit"?

If not, what is it exactly that I do?

Adam, do you move large loads long distances quickly? you're cfing. aduh

and with that definition, tamara IS cfing, btw.

Last edited by Renee Lee : 01-06-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: except when she jerks, cause her jerks suck and are certainly not "quick"
Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #38
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

[whine]But she's not doing it FOR TIME.[/whine]

As far as air squats go, I did a lot of them every day in the beginning, because I needed the flexibility to go below parallel at all. I think I spent 3 months doing 50 squats 4-6x a week. I didn't always post it on my log because well, it wasn't really part of what I did for Crossfit, more that I considered it prep movements. Even now, it's rare for me to lift anything without doing at least 10-20 air squats just as a stretch.

In that time, it helped me figure out knee position for squatting, I identified a few of my weaknesses surrounding uneven strength between the two legs, and uncovered an overcompensation problem between sides of my body.

Air squats can be beneficial, particularly for flexibility, learning how to listen to your body, and learning your own anthropometry (that was for you, TC). But they do f*** all for me when I'm trying to figure out how to squat with heavy things on my shoulders or back.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #39
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
and learning your own anthropometry (that was for you, TC).
I'ma make you a t-shirt with a buncha big words on it.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #40
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Trying to keep this on topic without continuing to direct the thread to "Tamara's the bestest!" cheerleadery... But seriously, I appreciate her presence around here. She has spent more time and money on LEARNING and BETTERING her technique in the what like 2 years she has been CFing and WLing, than most people do in their entire lives. You reference the big name coaches and their recommendations, she has actually trained with most of those guys in person and discusses training with them online... Unlike the vast majority of people on here who have, at best, attended a 2 day cert with those guys.
Like anything, you have to take what she or anyone else here says with discretion, but the amount of effort she has put into learning from multiple sources makes it absolutely worthwhile to hear what she has to say. Her personal desire to focus on weightlifting, and criticism of some CF practices, does not in anyway disqualify her from being a knowledgeable source of information.

On which note, if you actually take 5 minutes to look into it, her recommendation pretty much follows anything you will find Rip saying in past cf articles or Q&A in terms of air squat vs weighted squat having different forms, even if he doesn't come out and outright state air squat has no transferability... Its certainly implied that if you want to perform weighted squats, it will be different from an air squat, and you should practice the form using weight.