CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Ed Baas

Profile:
Hi, I'm a marathon runner and new to CF. I plan to use CF instead of lifting as part of my training program to improve my overall fitness- so I will definitely have an aerobic component to the program with running and cross training (bike, swim and row). I will eventually in the next year or two move to triathlons, once I achieve my current goals.

I have been following Joe Friel's version of Paleo Diet (for Endurace Athletes) for about a year. Friel focuses on requirements before, during and after a training but using higher glycemic foods together with protein, including energy drinks (Accelerade, Endurox, home brews, etc) and then the rest of the day is standard Paleo.

I know the CF community is high on Zone - is there the equivalent concept of recovery meals using higher glycemic - high carb foods in the Zone diet?
What are people doing in marathons or long aerobic activities (longer than 90 minutes)? Using energy drinks, gu's etc?

From reading I also noticed there is no concern about a calories. I had my resting metabolism measured and I am nearing 3000 calories by the time I add in the basics of living (resting + eating + daily moving around) before I do any exercise. My GPS heart monitor indicated I expended almost 7,000 calories in the Chicago marathon 2 weeks ago. Does any of this come into play when planning Zone meals or blocks? I'm 5'11" about 157 and last measure between 9-10% BF.

Thanks for your input - and sorry if this topic has already been covered.

Ed

Old 11-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I'm interested to hear the answers to this(diet for longer, sustained efforts).

I have found I don't have the energy to make it through rugby practice or games if I lower my carbs too far. I bonk like you wouldn't believe.

For CF-type WODs I'm fine on low carbs, but for the 90 minutes of a rugby game, I feel I need carbs. Or have I just not stuck with it long enough to make me more fat-burning efficient?

I don't mean to threadjack, but I think since the efforts have similar time demands it is relevant enough to piggyback on. But different specific demands(sustained effort vs many repeated bouts of effort--tackling-scrummaging-rucking--with running in between).

I appreciate any help from the diet guru's.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Ed,

It is really great to see you using this forum.

Look up Eugene Allen and Rob Wolf posts on the board. Eugene does triathlons and Rob is freaky smart about the nurtition stuff. I am sure they would be helpful with any questions you have.

If you need their emails, let me know.

See you soon.

Doug
Old 11-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Try looking into "Paleo for Athletes", I believe Dr Cordain did some experimenatation with endurance athletes.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Try looking into "Paleo for Athletes", I believe Dr Cordain did some experimenatation with endurance athletes.

He wrote that book with Joel Friel who was mentioned in the original post.

So far as Zone and endurance sports, Dave Scott says zone doens't provide enough carbs for an endurance athlete. He's a 7 or 8 time world champ who coaches world champs so there you have it.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"I have been following Joe Friel's version of Paleo Diet (for Endurace Athletes)"

I'm such a dumbass....missed that completely...wow, how smart did I sound?? Ha.

I'm not a big fan of the zone anyways...so would have to say it doesnt supply enough calories in general....people on here start doing 5x fat, 2x protein...but it's not "the zone" at that point. I think the main idea about the zone is to start with it to learn how to control portions and then start multiplying blocks for your needs.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Laura Head

Profile:
Ed, I am also an endurane athlete (marathons and halfs). I have been using the zone diet for about 5 months. I watch the nutrition threads closely to see if other endurance athletes post on the zone. When I followed the zone strictly and maintained my mileage, supplimented w/ CF WODs, I lost weight too fast and dropped body fat significantly. I have tweaked it, by increasing fat, not necessarily carbs, but it seems like alot of fat at times to satiate hunger after long runs. I have not found a product that would be the same consistency as GU or the gels that have a lower carb percentage. Coach spoke of this to a triathlete at the CF training seminar I attended. He said most endurance athletes that use the zone were making there own GU type mixes for races and forgoing the power gels and such. I don't know of a product that has a lower carb and higher fat content that is on the market, but I would be interested in it if it was out there. I want to say he mentioned something about freezing these home made mixtures into ice cube trays and taking a couple w/ you, to keep them from going bad on the longer endurance events. Kinda sounds gross, and not very convenient. Please tell me if you find out anything in this search. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
Ed Baas

Profile:
Hi Laura,
Thanks, and a few questions.
Did you notice any difference performance differences in your runs after going on zone? Are you still using Gu,etc during long runs? If you are not doing any specific post run foods, (endurox, etc), are you noticing any issues with recovery?

Ed
Old 11-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Laura Head

Profile:
Have only run a half since starting the zone and went from a 1:42 to a 1:39, but the coarse was flat and the temp perfect. Just began marathons again after a 10 year break and the supplimentation thing while running is new to me. The last time I ran a full I used GU and power gel and felt okay, but immediately upon crossing the finish line had to throw up and race to the bathroom. I felt is was r/t to the GU and power gel and stomach felt awful the entire day. (I did train w/ the gels and had similiar issues. I have not done any long runs past 16 where I would suppliment so I guess I would use GU b/c I don't know of anything else (Zone friendly) and where I run I can't take my own stuff and keep it refrigerated. Post recovery I eat a zone snack w/ in 30 minutes after the finish and do not use recovery products. I have not found them to be helpful. I usually get in a COLD tub for 3-5 min. after the race before I shower. It is not pleasant, but I have almost no soreness that night and following day. I feel the zone has put some muscle on me (but then again that could be CF Olifts).