CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
ok i've been on the zone for 10 days now at 19 blocks a day and heres what ive noticed.
I bought a fat caliper and measured in at 15% bf on the first day , on the 4th day I went to 13% bf but since then it hasnt moved, I wonder since I now weigh 6 pounds lighter with a lower bf% should I recalculate my zone measurements or what i'm obviously at a stand still right now.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Patience, grasshopper. 6 pounds in 10 days is plenty, most of it is likely water weight. Don't expect more than 2 lb./week, even that's pushing it. So, even making the rash assumption that your weight loss was all fat, you're a week and a half ahead of the curve already!

You could recalculate your block Rx, it likely hasn't changed. This is because the prescription is based on your lean body mass. If you lost 6 pounds and ~2% bodyfat, that should leave your LBM at about the same (or close enough that the blocks wouldn't change).

The body needs time to adjust the metabolism and become comfortable at each level...
Old 05-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Thomas James

Profile:
I'm day 4 of the zone and I'm a 22 block per day guy. I'm 175# @10% bf. On CF rest days should I lower my blocks? I've seen examples of people not having as many blocks for breakfast on a day that they have not worked out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Thomas,
I don't know what kind of activity level you run at, 22 blocks at your bw and bf seems pretty high to me. I base that on my doing the WOD as my main exercise and being 177# and 6% bf and doing well at 18 blocks at 3x fat. I've since gone up to 22 blocks at 3x fat to try to gain a bit of weight.

Then again, your activity level may justify your block number. Just thinking out loud.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Thomas James

Profile:
Garrett,
What do you mean by 3x fat? I get the 18 protein blocks per day, but I'm confused as to what 3x fat is in relation to the ratios the Zone diet is recommending. Thanks
Old 05-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Thomas,
A lot of people in the crossfit community, once they get down to a low body fat on the zone will start multiplying their fat blocks by integer factors.
The reason for this is performance based....more energy to burn.
So once at a desirable body fat percentage people begin with the same number of blocks but multiply their fat by 2x (if I eat a 4 block meal a I'll include 3(4 blocks) = 12 blocks fat). The process then invloves adjustment 2x, 3x, 4x...some people will keep adjusting all the way up to 5x fat. The usual result is significant increase in preformance.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
When I say 3x fat, I mean that I eat 9g of fat for my "block". 3g of fat is the "normal" fat block (lean protein fat + 1.5 g = 3g fat). Thus, I interpreted 3x fat as 3 x 3 = 9. Changing the value of a fat block made my calculations easier than multiplying the "normal" blocks times 3.